5 Lessons My Friends Relationships Taught Me

Here are the most important things I've learned from my friends relationships.
12

Ever since I can remember I have always been the friend that was single, while all my friends were in relationships. Although I was the one that wasn't in these relationships, I learned so much from the relationships my friends have been in. Here are some of the things I have learned from my friends' relationship.

1. Third Wheeling Sucks.

My friends always ask me to tag along with them and their boyfriends. It's annoying and I hate it so much, but I love my friends so I do it anyway. It doesn't matter how close you and your friend are, third wheeling with her and her boyfriend isn't fun in any circumstance.

2. Focus.

With my friends being in a relationship, I truly realized how much focus I have on myself; I sometimes think I'm conceited. One time, my friend was telling me about her dream and stopped herself, retold the story but this new story included less of her dreams and more of her boyfriend’s dreams. When I think about my dreams and what I want to do in life, it’s just me. My dreams include the things I want to achieve and aren’t compromised. My friend taught me that I don’t want to do anything at the moment, but focus on myself.

3. My Parents Rock.

Being in a serious relationship means that you have to meet the parents. I have heard nightmare stories about the parents my friends have had to meet and it just makes me love my parents that much more. My friend once told me that her boyfriend’s mother called her to go pick up his sister from school then take her home. My friend decided to take his sister for some frozen yogurt, and then was yelled at by his mother because it was inappropriate to have dessert before dinner. They had frozen yogurt at 3:30pm and they didn’t eat dinner until 6:30pm. When she told me this story I learned very quickly, that my parents are amazing.

4. Boys Are Literal.

I have learned from all of my friends relationships that boys are very simple creatures. With that being said, keep things simple. It amazes me how my friends will not talk to their boyfriends to show them their mad and it will take their boyfriends forever to realize that they are even mad. But the minute my friends tell their boyfriends “I’m mad” they are quickly trying to resolve any issue they created. Being upfront with guys instead of beating around the bush is always the way to go anytime a guy is involved. Trust me, I think that this is one of the most beneficial things I’ve learned from my friends relationships.

5. I’m Irreplaceable.

No matter how in love my friends are with their boyfriends I know they love me even more. Two of my friends have long distance relationships and don’t get to see their boyfriends often and when they do I always give them space, but the minute they say goodbye to their boyfriends they always come to see me or text me and tell me that they missed me, which means the world to me. Knowing that my friends are with the person they are absolutely head over heels for, but still value my friendship is the best feeling. At the end of the day, every girl needs her best friend, and I’m truly happy to be that friend.