5 Food Shows to Binge on Netflix, Plus a Healthy Pizza Recipe to Eat While You Watch

Netflix and pizza bowls, anyone?

71

Let's be honest, during this COVID-19 insanity we've all been watching way more TV than ever before (or maybe that's just me?...). I'm a sucker for any show or movie that focuses on food, and Netflix has a ton of options for a wide range of tastes; from more upscale choices to lighter, funnier fare. Whether you are taking a "quick" break between working, or spending 12 hours straight on the couch trying to fight off the Sunday scaries, these fantastic foodie shows will satisfy your food-loving soul.

Nailed It!

In just a few seasons, Nailed It! has developed a cult-like following. Individuals who are very mediocre bakers are asked to recreate beautiful sweets in order to win prize money. For me, it hits home on a personal level; I can absolutely relate to the struggle of recreating something that at first seemed so attainable. There is the perfect balance of hilarity and serious dedication to the art of baking. Like a bad song that you can't believe is still playing on the radio, Nailed It! finds a way into your brain and stays there. You'll find yourself cheering on these amateur bakers as they struggle to bake gourmet creations. While this show may not contribute to your kitchen knowledge, it is extremely entertaining to watch the baking madness unfold.

Chefs Table

This refined and elegant show follows one acclaimed chef per episode, and not only highlights the unique aspects of their restaurants but also highlights the road they have taken to arrive at their success. The dishes that glide across the table of these restaurants are as beautiful as precious works of art, and the in-depth look into these kitchens will have you feeling like you really are sitting in the coveted chef's table, with a front row seat to the show. Sure, there is a slight air of pretension and snobbery in the way some of the chef's conduct themselves, but that's why they are the best, right? And who among us is above indulging in beautiful food, shot in the most meticulous and elegant way? Certainly not me.

Ugly Delicious

Ugly Delicious is celebrity chef David Chang's exploration of foods that are, you guessed it, ugly but delicious. Think New York pizza, Mexican street tacos, Cajun crawfish, and various curries. He invites several celebrities and famous chefs to join him in eating, drinking, and discussing what makes good food good. Chang is obsessed with tackling why misconceptions exist around certain dishes, and does a brilliant job of showing how food can be used as a tool to express culture. The heart and soul of the dish in each single-topic episode is shown in a fresh and fun perspective, and Chang's cynical attitude is both hilarious and relatable. If you are a fan of the late and great Anthony Bourdain, this show is for you.

The Chef Show

Director and actor Jon Favreau has teamed up with real-life chef and taco truck founder Roy Choi to learn the trade of cooking. The pair documents their shared travels and culinary experiences with a variety of celebrities and specialty chefs. Having Hollywood hot-shot Favreau in the forefront allows The Chef Show to pull some very big celebrity guests, from Marvel superstars to Gwyneth Paltrow to Seth Rogan. It is truly special to watch the intimate art of cooking paired with high-profile entertainment names. So far there are three volumes, so there are plenty of episodes to binge. It is light, fun, and full of laughs and serious eats. Novice cooks to experienced kitchen whizzes will find something to love!

Somebody Feed Phil

Somebody Feed Phil is hands down my favorite food show on Netflix. It follows Everybody Loves Raymond writer Phil Rosenthal as he travels to several food destinations and indulges in the local cuisine. Rosenthal is uproarious, and while he definitely is not a food expert, there is something so charming about watching his eyes light up as he eats something delicious. Each episode highlights one city around the world (Lisbon, Cape Town, Buenos Aires just to name a few), and there is a wonderful mix of fancy eateries and rustic spots. There is something very infectious about Rosenthal's wide-eyed wonder at all of the beautiful food, and his affability makes each local guest feel comfortable. While this show is as much about travel as it is food, you will find yourself longing to relive his exact experience in each city.

There is nothing more satisfying than knowing you have an entire Saturday night available to dedicate to bingeing Netflix. And what is the best food to pair with being a couch potato (besides cheesy popcorn)? Pizza, of course! Pizza and a movie is a classic date night pairing, and if you are looking for a lightened-up version, the below Quinoa Pizza Bowls are the perfect fit. They help make date night guilt-free, have all the best elements of pizza packed in one bite, and are loaded with protein while being gluten-free!

https://beautyandthefeastfoodblog.com/build-your-own-quinoa-pizza-bowls/

No matter which foodie show you choose, there is something surprisingly fulfilling about diving into the minds of culinary geniuses who have the ability to take the ordinary food we consume and turn it into a life-changing experience. I highly recommend a steady diet of all the shows on this list, with a side of quinoa pizza bowls.