5 Books That Will Change The Way You Look At The World

Recommended works of current fiction that will help you better understand life

54

The best way to get to know the world is through the eyes and experiences of others. Writing is a great way to connect billions of people with one story, which is why authors of fiction have such a unique and wonderful opportunity to touch the hearts and souls of so many and to teach lessons we otherwise may never learn.

The trouble is, there are too many books to ever read them all in a lifetime. So, I’ve narrowed it down for you to five books that will help you understand this world, and the people in it, a little better and will remind you of the beauty of life.

1. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Okay, get ready to cry, because this one is a tearjerker. Jodi Picoult is a master of human emotion and honest storytelling that captures your heart and never lets it go. My Sister's Keeper helps you to better understand the lives of people who go through illness, and the lives of their loved ones. It also delves deeper into the strength love can have, and it will leave you with a whirlwind of emotions you won’t even know what to do with, except to hold your own loved ones close and to cherish every moment you have with them.

2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The best way to reimagine our future is to study our past. The Book Thief takes us back to the time of the Holocaust through the eyes of a young, poor German girl. It’s a story not before told with an entirely new perspective that will remind you of the preciousness of every individual life. This book confronts death in the most direct and unique way I’ve ever read, and it will certainly keep you turning pages.

3. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Recently made into a hit Netflix series, 13 Reasons Why examines the horrors of living within a suicidal mind and what could be done to stop such tragedies from occurring. Hannah Baker takes us through a whirlwind of emotions as we learn how her life went downhill so fast, and what could have been done to save her. This book reminds us that we never truly know what’s going on in someone’s life, despite the appearance they may have, and it’s important to cherish every human life.

4. The Giver by Lois Lowry

Another book taken to the screen fairly recently, The Giver reminds us of the importance of our uniqueness and the beauty of human life. Despite the challenges and disorder our differences may bring, a life of sameness and supposed peace pales in comparison to the colorful lives we live. The best we can do is to help one another, work towards peace, and celebrate life constantly. Otherwise, we’re doomed to a meaningless existence that can easily be looked at as useless and, consequently, thrown away.

5. The Help by Kathryn Stocket

If you’ve seen the movie, you already know this story is beautiful, funny, heartwarming, and something that makes you wonder about your own conscience. If you read the book, you’ll be even more entranced by the characters who dance across the pages. The Help reminds us that even those looked down upon by society can make a huge difference and can bring about change that will influence generations. A powerful story interjected with humor and love that will leave you feeling warm inside, this novel shows that no matter your background, race, sexual orientation, religion, or any other barriers society uses to divide us, we are all human and deserving of a meaningful, fulfilling life.

So, there you have it: Five books you need to add to your reading list now. There are so many other brilliant works by amazing authors that deserve a spot on this list, but these five will get you started and open windows to a realm of new discoveries, heartfelt stories, and tear-filled lessons that will stay with you for the rest of your life.