4 Things Every Sorority Girl Should Know About Big Little

One of the most exciting times before initiation.

136
Alli Abrutyn

Big Little is one of the most exciting times in a new member's time before initiation. For those reading who don’t know what this is, it is a 4-day period where your “big” (an older girl who becomes your big sister) gives you three days of baskets filled with your sororities clothes, your favorite foods, funny poems about you, etc. On the last day you have “reveal” where you finally get to see who your big is. For anyone who hasn’t gone through this yet, here are some things you should know about big little

1.Your Big Will Make You Fat

There is a lot of irony in this one, my big and I met in a workout class yet she gave me a disgusting amount of food. From lime chips, to Zingermans, candy, cookie cake, frosted animal crackers etc… I had it all. So with all the piles of food in my room between my roommate and I, we couldn’t help but eat it and therefore pack on the pounds.

2.They Will Contact Everyone Relatively Close to You

For big little, your big will want to embarrass you, and to do this, they have to contact all of your friends. My big contacted all my close high school friends, camp friends, college friends, and even my mom. With this, she got all the dirt she needed on me to make me laugh, yet be a bit embarrassed.

3.Your Big Will Know all of Your Secrets Before You Even Know Them

This is kind of creepy if you actually think about it. Because your big contacts all of your friends she knows every embarrassing thing you’ve done from Middle School to High School to College and writes embarrassing poems about you and gives you disgusting pictures of yourself to reminisce on things you probably wanted to forget about.

4.They Will Try and Trick You into Thinking They Are Someone Else

I was kind of in a unique situation. My big kind of knew she was my big for a long time (since like June or July-ish, sorry to embarrass you :) ) and she told me she wanted to be my big. So she, along with all the other older girls in my sorority tried to trick my friends and I into thinking our bigs were different people than we thought. In my case, it didn’t really work (sorry again) but I was confused for a little bit!

Although my big didn’t trick me and I knew she would be my big pretty early on, I am still so happy with how it worked out. I can safely say big little was my favorite part of being a new member.