4 Steps to Take Before Decluttering a House

Making your house as functional as possible starts with decluttering every room. Decluttering your home provides a great deal of stress relief, as too much clutter has been scientifically proven to cause anxiety and stress in a person.

18
Decluttering a House

Making your house as functional as possible starts with decluttering every room. Decluttering your home provides a great deal of stress relief, as too much clutter has been scientifically proven to cause anxiety and stress in a person. If you've never decluttered a house before, you may be stressed out about the process before you even begin. That's why we have put together four easy steps you need to take before you begin the process of decluttering. These steps will make the entire ordeal much more manageable!

1. Organize Every Task

You wouldn't jump into a big project at work without any organization at all, so why jump into decluttering your home without the same ideas? Get out a pen and paper and start organizing the project. What areas are more urgent than others? Consider all of the rooms of your home from top to bottom, and list your rooms in order of worst to best. You'll want to tackle the harder areas first to get them out of the way. However, it's often a good idea to start at the top of your house and work your way down. For example, decluttering an attic will not only allow you to get rid of stuff you no longer want, but it will also free up space for items you want to move out of other rooms.

2. Have a "Plan of Attack" Ready

Once you have the rooms organized from hardest to easiest, now is the time to plan your decluttering attack. You don't want to just jump into your first room with no consideration. For example, know what you will need before starting your first room and have the items ready to go. You don't want to start decluttering and cleaning only to discover you are out of trash bags and boxes. Make a master list of necessary items before you begin, such as heavy-duty trash bags, sturdy cardboard boxes, large storage bins with lids, a moving dolly, and cleaning supplies. Have them all ready to go before you start the process of decluttering.

3. Know What Will Go Where

You'll likely want to separate your unused items into different piles. Designate a place for unwanted items in an area you can clean last, such as the basement, garage, or detached shed. Are you wanting to sell your personal items to make some money back? Designate an area just for these goods. Are you planning to donate some of your possessions to a local thrift store, such as The Salvation Army or Goodwill? Make a separate pile. Get in touch with organizations before you begin the decluttering process to make it even easier. Many places will arrange a free pick-up at your home, especially for old furniture, clothing, and household goods.

4. Rent a Dumpster

When your decluttering project involves a great deal of garbage, don't bother trying to shove it all in some small trash cans for your local refuse company to pick up. Chances are, they won't want to take it all if you have too much to get rid of. Instead, rent a dumpster for as many days as you need to declutter your entire house. Rental dumpsters take old rugs, shingles, carpeting, home furnishings, cabinets, small appliances, and so much more. When you have too much trash for the local sanitation company to take, a dumpster rental will make a world of difference.