5 tips for getting over a break up

5 Coping Mechanism After A Bad Break Up

Don't, take this time to reflect on YOURSELF. Don't think about what you think went wrong, or about what they did, or what you did.

19
heart of concrete

Getting over a bad breakup is one of the hardest things a person can do. You feel upset and alone, but I promise it will get better. In the mean time-- here are five ways to get over that break up that broke your heart.

1. Take a day to reflect! 

One thing I learned is that after a break up, you want answers and may even want to reach out to your ex.

2. No contact

This probably is the most common break up advice to give

Avoid all contact with your ex if possible, if you go to school or with work with your ex then this may be more complicated to do. but if you can avoid texting, calling, or any communication with your ex. Social media included. unfriend, unfollow, whatever you have to avoid that communication.

Also, avoid contact with family members of your ex, this can reopen wounds and make the healing process harder.

If you can avoid them all together or cold turkey tries to limit interaction.

3. Find a hobby or discover new interests 

you will probably feel like you have a lot more free time since you won't be spending that time with your ex.

this is a moment to find new interest and hobbies that will help you to use that time you would have with your ex.

create new memories in place of the old.

take some time to spend with friends or make new ones

Don't replace your ex with another person. In my opinion and from experience this can be toxic because now that person has to measure up to a certain standard. You may compare that person to your ex and you will end up disappointed and it's not fair to the other person. This goes for non-dating relationships as well. People come and go, and consciously and subconsciously replacing your ex can hurt you in the long run.

4. Stay optimistic

Don't feel like your life is over, stay positive as much as you can.

remember that some relationships aren't meant for a lifetime.

If you're relationship ended, it has served its purpose.

Think of it as a new beginning to a new discovery.

5. Stick to your support system

Run to family, close friends or mentors for support.

These are the people who watched you grow and develop through life. They often have your best interest.

Take time to catch up with lifelong friends

If you feel family and friends aren't enough I recommend counseling.

You can receive unbiased opinions, accountability and even someone to vent and share emotions.

a counselor will be able to tell also if you are coping in an effective way.