7 Tips For Protecting Your Aggie Ring

7 Tips For Protecting Your Aggie Ring

Getting your Aggie ring soon? Keep reading!

Caroline Turpen
113

Ask anyone who went to Texas A&M what their most prized possessions are and their Texas A&M class ring is bound to make the list. Our Aggie rings signify our connection to the Aggie network and our membership in the Aggie family. Plus they're pretty!

One of the worst things that can happen to an Aggie is to lose his or her ring. Although there is recourse through the Aggie network, you're not guaranteed to ever see it again, and this heartbreak has become reality for far too many of our Aggie brothers and sisters.

In light of that, as the proud owner of an Aggie ring for about one year that has not been misplaced (fingers crossed) I would like to offer some tips and tricks for keeping track of your beautiful new ring.

1. Make sure it fits.

An Aggie ring that fits perfectly will hug your finger a little bit and take a decent pull to remove. While it should not cut off circulation, turn your finger purple, or require water/lotion to remove, it should stay on easily no matter what you're doing. Fortunately, Aggie rings come in quarter sizes and resizing through the Association is free!

2. Know it's okay to leave it at home!

If your Aggie ring doesn't fit perfectly, either because it slips off or is too tight and sometimes gets uncomfortable, forcing you to remove it and put it somewhere, LEAVE IT AT HOME until you've gotten it resized. We won't kick you out of the family, I promise.

3. Use that box it comes in.

This one is probably my most important tip. There are only two acceptable locations for an Aggie ring: on its Aggie's finger or in its maroon box. If it is always one of those two places, it will not get lost. You'll be wearing your ring for many, many years. There are a billion mornings you'll slip it on. That's a lot of chances for something to get misplaced. To minimize this risk, your putting on/taking off routine must include a minimum of steps.

Personally, I keep my ring box in the bathroom. Before I take a shower at night, I put my ring in its box. When I get out or perhaps the next morning, it goes right back on. I do not take it off for any reason except taking a shower.

4. Don't wear it in the pool.

Going swimming is tricky. Most people who lost their Aggie rings that I know of lost it while swimming. I'll just let my 2%er roots show and tell y'all that if I think I might be swimming, I leave my Aggie ring at home for the day.

I always keep my nails done so I don't feel that my hands need the decoration, and I would so much rather it be safe than risk dropping it into the black hole of my purse or letting water slip between my finger and it, making it easy to slide off. Similarly, when I go to the beach, it stays at the beach house in, you guessed it, my maroon box.

5. Do not wear it in the snow. 

Snow is a double threat because cold causes your hands to shrink a little bit, and because when you play in the snow, your hands get wet from melted snow. That one time it snowed in College Station, on Dead Day in fall 2017, I know far too many people who lost their rings. I didn't have mine then but I made a mental note: if snow is in the forecast ever, my ring stays home for the day.

6. Invest in a Lion Latch.

instagram.com/lionlatch_jewelrytotes

My 2%er ways might be a little much for some people. I get that. After all, it isn't the Aggie way to not wear your Aggie ring (oops.) Fortunately, there's a product for that. It's called a Lion Latch and I bought it because I'm a gym rat and before I lived at an apartment with an on-site workout room, I used to have no choice but to take my ring off while I lifted weights (I don't want my precious getting scratched.)

Now I can just put my ring in its box at home before I go since the gym is just downstairs, but I still do have this nifty little device on my key chain. I highly recommend it because it is designed in such a way that it absolutely not fall off. (However, for me, it just made me anxious the whole time I was working out that my keys would be stolen.)

7. Treat it like the treasure it is. 

Don't be afraid to not wear your ring for a day here and there. I know, I know: we wear our rings 24/7 til the day we die. They're as important as our wedding rings. But on days I left my Aggie ring home for her own safety, it makes slipping it on the next day twice as special because I did miss it. It reminds me in a fresh way that I have the prettiest Aggie ring in the world, just because everything about it is so me: size 6, 10point diamond, bright gold finish, inscription Caroline Moore Turpen, class year 18.

It's these personal details that make them so special and irreplaceable, and it's because they're so valuable that I say they deserve to be treated differently than, say, my $10-on-Amazon cubic zirconia necklace that I wear 24/7 because I wouldn't care if it broke or I lost it.

You don't carry your designer purses to class; you use your sturdy ol' Jansport. You don't wear your Tory Burch sandals to class, you throw on a pair of Chacs. While Aggie rings are sturdy and meant to last a lifetime, you know what I mean: special things deserve special treatment. And that's why I say it's okay to leave your Aggie ring at home (or in your Lion Latch) if you know you'll be in a situation it might get lost.