Media Talk
Politics

Media Talk

Lets be honest: the media sucks.

201
Media Talk

The media is one of the worst things we have going on right now.

Think about it: What type of people do you see on commercials — lets say about clothing. They are all small, fit, and look like the perfect person. They never show someone who isn't fit — or god forbid — have acne. This isn't just in clothing commercials, its literally in all commercials. Kids toys, food and drink (even the sugary ones have small people enjoying a chocolate bar), games, music, literally anything that you can think of.

Now think of the people watching these, majority being kids. How do you think this affects their thinking? It makes them think that if I do/eat/drink/wear this thing it will make me just like the people on the TV. At some point kids begin to realize that yeah this thing is cool, but it doesn't do the main thing. It doesn't make them look like that person they saw, and that can cause issues. But first we are going to talk about the ads that are only pictures.

You are probably thinking "Well aren't they the same thing?" Well, yes but with pictures you have this thing called Photoshop which can make people face clear skin, white teeth, the perfect hair, the perfect body with the perfect curves, lines, muscles and look. These in my opinion can cause more issues than the commercials seen on TV because they can be so false in how everything it is portrayed. This will mostly affect people from about middle school and long into their 20's, and the affects that it has on people can be bad for their health.

For most, the way they go about looking like the people in the ads is by not eating. This can go from eating smaller amounts, going a couple of days of not eating much, to not eating anything. or they will over exercise to either 1) lose the calories they just ate or 2) push there bodies to their limit. There are two eating disorders, anorexia and bulimia, and both are used by people who feel they need to lose weight. anorexia is when people just refuse to eat much of anything, and they always feel that they are bigger than what they actually are. bulimia people tend to eat food, but then after they eat they fell guilty and find away to get the food out of there body which is usually by puking. Majority of people who have these eating disorders are females, but that doesn't mean males don't struggle with this issue either because they do.

When companies have used people in ads or commercials that don't follow the "norm" (aka plus size) people lose there minds. Saying "why are we promoting obesity" when it is such an issue in our county? Well here is a news flash: they aren't promoting obesity or saying that it is OK, they are promoting positive self image. The models or actors/actresses in these are bigger than what they should be sure, but they are not the people who are on "My 600 Pound Life" (those people are the ones that are obese) but those people in the ads? They are no where near close to what that show shows. People ask why are those kinds of people on an ad? It's because as a society, we have this definition of what perfect is and anyone who does not fit within that small circle are now imperfect (which is why people freak out when they see something different because it isn't the norm) which then leads to the eating/body issues. So having people who are not usually on ads help the "imperfect" people finally feel perfect.

So how about we make a change here. Have more realist people in all ads (and TV shows they are just as bad, but getting better slooooooowly), showing the good and the ugly because that is just life. Show more body types and not just the thin girl with big boobs, butt, and somehow be small everywhere else. Show more guys that aren't these muscle machines.

If we can change what is seen as "normal" then it will help everyone feel more comfortable in there own skin and not feel ashamed.