32 Things I'd Rather Do Than Back Up My Work

I might be an adult, but that doesn't make me responsible yet

31
Bit Rebels

Stuff happens. We spend all night writing a ten page paper, hit save, and shut down the computer. And somehow we’re surprised when overnight, the Internet devours our work and it’s not there anymore. We’re sure we saved it -- even after it autosaved every single minute we spent working on it -- and somehow, it’s gone. The kicker is that we’ve grown up hearing about the need to back up our work. It doesn’t matter if your second copy is online, on your desktop, an external hard drive, the body of an email to yourself, or even a printed copy locked in a waterproof and fireproof safe, the important part is that a second copy exists. And of course, the only times we forget to make that second copy is when we need it the most. Here are 32 adult things I’ve remembered to do this week while neglecting to back up my work.

1. Sleep at least 6 hours every night
  2. Do my laundry before I ran out of underwear
  3. Cook all 21 meals at home instead of eating out
  4. Take all of my vitamins every day
  5. Read a book
  6. Renew my library books
  7. Check out new library books
  8. Make a grocery list before getting to the store
  9. Check my email
  10. Actually reply to emails
  11. Water my outdoor plants
  12. Water my indoor plants
  13. Cry because I drowned a succulent
  14. Panic about buying a new one before anyone notices
  15. Repot some of the plants that look like they might also die
  16. Take out both the trash and recycling
  17. Submit my timesheet on time
  18. Study (this is a literal miracle, to be honest)
  19. Take off my shoes when I enter the apartment
  20. Drink more water than coffee
  21. Eat one serving of ice cream instead of the entire pint
  22. Realize school starts in less than a month
  23. Panic about classes
  24. Spend 8 hours shopping online for clothes I’ll never be able to afford
  25. Write some more things and forget to save them
  26. Wonder where my work went
  27. Forget to sync my phone and laptop, see number 26
  28. Accidentally hit send on a risky email (proof I am adulting: emails are actually important)
  29. Check my PO box
  30. Find month-old mail and immediately recycle it without opening it
  31. Go back to the grocery store because even with a list, I forgot stuff
  32. Continue to adult responsibly, except for when it involves backing up important documents