30 Reasons You Know You're Part Of The PB&J Family

Once a member of this family, always a member of this family.
5

If you didn't go to PB&J Leadership Training Inc from July 5-9, you truly missed out. Not only was it a grand ol' time filled with great memories, lots of silly songs, and yummy food, the leadership lessons taught will help the community for years to come. I'm so sorry for you if you didn't go.

However, if you did go, you know what it's like to be surrounded by dozens of new brothers and sisters. You know that you are now forever part of the PB&J family, and I'm talking forever as in for life. Whether you went to camp once or for thirty years, these are unshakable bonds. Here, let me explain what I'm talking about, with 30 reasons to celebrate the 30th anniversary of this wonderful camp. You know you're part of the PB&J family if you:

1. Know why you can't ride in my little red wagon.

I mean, come on! The front seat is broken and the axle is dragging, why would you want to ride in it in the first place? What about my radio flyer? My Lamborghini? My pink Cadillac? Well, you can't ride in those either, but you get my point.

2. Drink yo watah!

Translation, for those who didn't go to PB&J: drink your water! If you aren't properly hydrated up at camp, it'll be a sorry time for you. Always make sure to drink your water! (Bonus points if you can identify who said this iconic quote.)

3. Know what three bells means.

Hustle, hustle, hustle! No lollygagging to the bell, you hear? You'll hear it ring three times. Not once, not twice, and four is just outright!

4. Have lipgloss that is POPPIN'.

Do I even need to explain this one? Our lipgloss is cool, our lipgloss is poppin', we're standing at our lockers and all the boys be stoppin'!

5. Feel good!

Oh, we feel so good. Oh, oh we feel so, oh we feel so, oh we feel so good! Oh oh oh OH!

6. Clap when you hear a plate drop.

Or anything drop, really. Come on, it's common courtesy!

7. Know a weenie man.

He owns a weenie stand, you know. One that sells most everything from hotdogs on down (WOO!). Someday we'll all be his wife, and someday we'll have a weenie life. Oh, how I love that weenie man (WOO!).

8. Yell "PHONE!" when the phone rings...

...and then get completely silent when someone answers it. Even though it's mealtime and everyone is stuffing their face with the delicious food.

9. Can fold it!

Whether it's a bambama or not, everything can be folded and given a nice firm pat to make sure it's flat.

10. Go to the bathroom with a buddy.

You can't ever be on your own! Don't you know that's when the ninjas strike? Yeah, they love to get campers that are alone, especially on their way to the bathroom!

11. That there's a moose on the loose!

His name is Fred and he likes drinking his juice in bed and he'd really appreciate it if you respected his life choices. Sometimes a dudes gotta get out, okay? Especially after he spilled his juice on his hair, even after he drank it with care.

12. Know what OFC really means.

Of course it doesn't mean "of course". The official fun coordinators work waaay too hard for it to just mean "of course". Show a little respect.

13. Don't lick the trees.

Better yet, how about we just leave the wildlife alone? And please, please, don't upload a picture of you licking the trees to Facebook, or else there might be a rule written about you.

14. Love writing warm fuzzies.

In the summer, most kids hate actually writing things. If that thing is a warm fuzzy, though, count camp kids in! We all know you have to give some to get some.

15. Have friends in low places.

And if the whiskey drowns and the beer chases our blues away? Well, we'll be okay.

16. Perform in the talent show with no talent.

It's called a no-talent Talent Show for a reason, people! Who's going to judge you? Absolutely no one, since we all do it too, so don't worry!

17. Know rock, paper, scissors is not just a game.

It's a commitment. It's a lifestyle. It's the way we line up for dinner. We take this game seriously here.

18. Have camp crushes on 100 people.

Everyone is just so beautiful and amazing and wonderful, it's so easy to fall in love for a week! (Sidenote: you know you're part of the PB&J family if you know the difference between a camp crush and a real crush.)

19. Get quiet at 10:30.

It's quiet time at Lee Canyon and you know what that means. No talking outside the buildings and if you really have to, please whisper.

20. Feel powerful when you're on the log.

Nothing beats looking down at the faces of 80 people who are just as ready to sing some silly songs as you are. It's especially sweet if you're leading said silly song.

21. Realize the medics singlehandedly invented rollcalls.

No one could ever come close to beating the medics. Their sick beats and great rhymes put us all in our place and it's a good thing they don't count for meal line, or else us campers would never eat first!

22. Work in a button factory.

For a few good minutes, all of us change our names to Joe, and suddenly we have six kids and work in a button factory. Hi. My name is Joe. I have six kids. I work in a button factory. One day, my boss came up to me and said, "Hey Joe!" I said, "Huh?" He said, "You busy?" I said, "Nuh uh." He said, "Push the button with your right hand." Hi. My name is Joe. I have six kids. I work in a---

23. Visit home once a year.

Home isn't always where you spend all of your time. Home is where you feel safe and protected and loved. For all of us, that home belongs wherever PB&J is.

24. Only like playing tag with zombies or amoebas.

Regular tag is sub-par now. I mean, why play it the normal way when you could be a zombie? Or link arms and be an amoeba? This is the way of the future people.

25. Know the bathroom cheer.

Stall, stall, stall!

26. Have an entire support system.

There are over 100 people up at camp. Every single one of those people would jump on an opportunity to help you out if you ever need it. From the moment you step into Camp Lee for PB&J, you are not alone.

27. Like making a fool of yourself.

Release you inhibitions! I promise, no one ever thinks you look as awkward as you do. No one even really pays attention to looks. Everyone's just trying to have a good time.

28. Actually like having no service on your phone.

I know, it sounds crazy, but it's true. An entire week with no cell service means you actually have to talk to people, and that means you forge a stronger bond. It's a blessing, in all honesty.

29. Want camp to last for a lifetime.

It's simultaneously the longest week ever and the shortest week ever. The end comes way too quick and you're left aching for more and more and more. I think we'd all enjoy a year round camp.

30. Know you are loved.

Like I said before, you aren't alone. You have friends who will always have your back, but more importantly? You have a family that goes deeper than blood. You have brothers and sisters who will always stand by your side. We're all one big, happy family.

So there you have it. PB&J isn't just a camp, it's a lifestyle. It's touched so many people's lives and will continue to touch others for years to come. I'm proud of anyone involved with this amazing camp, and I can't wait until next year!