3 Reasons Decluttering Your Life Should Be On Your Summer Bucket List

Sometimes just enough is enough.

57

As the end to summer is growing closer and schedules come back into play in our daily lives, now is the time to mark off your remaining bucket list items. One thing to add to your list is decluttering your personal space. This could be a storage room, closet, living room, kitchen, garage, or whatever space just has a lot of stuff and is getting little use out of those items.

Now you might be wondering one thing: Why should I take the time to get rid of these items?

Here are three great reasons why the clutter needs to go!

1. You only really need just enough.

I've been listening to the "HGTV Obsessed" podcast featuring the Tidy Dad, Tyler Moore, who lives a minimalist life in a small New York City apartment with his wife and kids. His story and his concept of having just enough stuff really changed his life. His motto is to have just enough of everything you need. Let's say you use five pairs of jeans a week but own ten pairs. Five is just enough. Why own ten pairs if you only use five? You are cluttering your space with extra items while you really only need a certain amount. While this concept is more about need than want, it is a great lesson that there are some items that you probably only need less of, but want more.

2. Make some money off those unused items!

If you have a lot of unused items sitting around, why not sell them and free up some space? Perhaps you have an overflowing bookshelf. Are there some books that you probably enjoyed reading but will never read again? If you are like me, than the answer is yes! Not only will selling them make you some money, but you are also selling them to people that will enjoy those items more than you would just letting them collect dust on your shelf.

3. Focus on your future lifestyle.

Sometimes people focus on the quantity of items so that they have a variety of things to wear, for example. These things can become worn and out of style. Taking time to buy quality and timeless pieces is something to consider in the future. Is this an item that will last long-term? If this item is not something you can't really see yourself using again because it will be out of style or warn out, consider letting those items go.

After reading this article, hopefully you feel motivated to go clean you cluttered space, while at the same time considering how long that item will be in style. If you need or want it, and if you have just enough of that item!