5 Filming Locations Near Chicago That You Can Visit Right Now

Seriously, with no appointment needed.

896
Chas Demster

If you're like most people, you love TV shows and movies. But if you're like me, you love when they film near your hometown. When I see famous celebrities and camera crews setting up in downtown Chicago, it brings me so much joy. Although most shows are filmed in Hollywood, there are on site locations from many movies and shows that are accessible to visit by the public.

1. "Shameless" (2011-Now)

My personal favorite. Shameless is a TV show on Showtime about a very dysfunctional family, to briefly sum up the plot, a young woman with an alcoholic father and an absent mother takes care of her five younger siblings. The Gallagher family live (and film!) in the South side of Chicago. The house that is used for filming is an actual house that has become a very popular tourist location for those who know and love the show. Shameless also films around various locations among the city of Chicago, such as Buckingham fountain and the CTA.

Wanna visit? The Shameless house is located at 2119 S. Homan Ave, Chicago, IL

2. "The Breakfast Club" (1985)

If you haven't seen this movie, watch it right now. John Hughes is a genius. The school exterior was actually recently turned into an Illinois police department, but you are still able to see the stairs leading into the "school" from the movie. Perhaps the most iconic scene of The Breakfast Club is when John Bender raises his fist at the end of the movie... ya know, this one?

Wanna visit? Maine North High School is located at 9511 Harrison St, Des Plaines, IL.

3. "The Dark Knight" (2008)

RIP Heath. This sequel to Batman Begins is obviously the best sequel in movie history, except maybe next to Toy Story 2? Most of this movie is shot in downtown Chicago in many various locations.

Wanna visit?

The opening robbery by the Joker and his clowns is located at the old Chicago Post Office, 404 West Harrison, Chicago, IL.

Wayne Enterprises HQ is located at the Richard Daley Center in Daley Plaza, Chicago, IL.

Bruce Wayne's penthouse is located at Wyndham Grand, 71 E. Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL.

Batman and Joker's confrontation is located on South Lasalle Street in Chicago, IL.

4. "Sixteen Candles" (1984)

Another John Hughes masterpiece. This classic romantic comedy was filmed at a house thirty minutes away from Chicago in a town called Evanston. The enormous six bedroom house was recently put on the market for a whopping 1.4 million dollars!

Wanna visit?

Samantha Baker's house is located at 3022 Payne St, Evanston, IL

Jake Ryan's house is located at 1407 Waverly Rd, Highland Park, IL

5. "Nightmare on Elm Street" (2010)

It's almost October so how could I forget about a modern take on a classic horror film? Freddy Krueger visited two high schools located in the Chicago suburbs, only about 45 minutes from the city. One of them actually being my high school!

Wanna visit?

The interior of the school was filmed at John Hersey High School, Arlington Heights, IL

The pool scene and exterior of the school were filmed at Elk Grove High School, Elk Grove Village, IL

When visiting these locations, please be polite, as some of the homes listed are private residences. Honestly, I love all movies but there will always be a special place in my heart for the ones filmed near me. Thanks, Hollywood, for giving some of your spotlights to Chicago. I really appreciate it.