29 Beautiful Quotes from YA Literature

29 Beautiful Quotes from YA Literature

“Words were different when they lived inside of you.”

3858
29 Beautiful Quotes from YA Literature
mylightwoodicons

Those of us who are avid readers of the genre know that Young Adult literature doesn't always get the credit it deserves. Sure, they top the best sellers lists and receive praise from countless readers and critics alike, but a hesitance to label it as "good" or "real" literature still exists in some circles. And this list of 29 beautiful quotes is here to prove them wrong.

1. "The green light filled the cramped hallway, it lit the pram pushed against the wall, it made the banisters glare like lightning rods, and James Potter fell like a marionette whose strings were cut."

- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

2. “Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there.' I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.”

- John Green, Looking for Alaska

3. “Being Adam Parrish was a complicated thing, a wonder of muscles and organs, synapses and nerves. He was a miracle of moving parts, a study in survival. The most important thing to Adam Parrish, though, had always been free will, the ability to be his own master. This was the important thing. It had always been the important thing. This was what it was to be Adam.”

- Maggie Stiefvater, The Raven Boys

4. “I could recognize him by touch alone, by smell; I would know him blind, by the way his breaths came and his feet struck the earth. I would know him in death, at the end of the world.”

- Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles

5. “I don't even remember the season. I just remember walking between them and feeling for the first time that I belonged somewhere.”

- Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

6. “Silence is a protective coating over pain.”

- E. Lockhart, We Were Liars

7. “Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”

- Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park

8. “I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”

- Gayle Forman, If I Stay

9. “The marks humans leave are too often scars.”

- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

10. “Meeting your soul mate is like walking into a house you've been in before - you will recognize the furniture, the pictures on the wall, the books on the shelves, the contents of drawers: You could find your way around in the dark if you had to.”

- Jandy Nelson, I'll Give You the Sun

11. “Words were different when they lived inside of you.”

- Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

12. “Kind people have a way of working their way inside me and rooting there.”

- Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

13. “Sometimes, the best way to help someone is just to be near them.”

- Veronica Roth, Divergent

14. “I am haunted by humans.”

- Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

15. "Slowly, very slowly, he sat up and as he did so he felt more alive and more aware of his own living body than ever before. Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"

16. “Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

- Marissa Meyer, Cinder

17. “The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”

- Jandy Nelson, The Sky is Everywhere

18. “There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.”

- Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever

19. "Darling, dearest, dead."

- Lemony Snicket, The Bad Beginning

(A Series of Unfortunate Events is actually children's series, not YA, and this isn't actually a quote from the story itself, but rather the dedication. But it's going on this list anyway. Because it's freakin' gorgeous.)

20. “For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.”

- Stephanie Perkins, Anna and the French Kiss

21. “What I told you about saving people isn't true. You might think it is, because you might want someone else to save you, or you might want to save someone so badly. But no one else can save you, not really. Not from yourself."

- Ava Dellaira, Love Letters to the Dead

22. "But there's nothing more profound than creating something out of nothing."

- Rainbow Rowell, Fangirl

23. “When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.”

- Laurie Halse Anderson, Speak

24. "Hold my hand because I might disappear."

- Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road

25. “A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted - mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.”

- Morgan Matson, Second Chance Summer

26. “Life can't be cured, but it can be managed.”

- Ned Vizzini, It's Kind of a Funny Story

27. “It seemed funny to me that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset.”

- S.E. Hinton, The Outsiders

28. “It would be too easy to say that I feel invisible. Instead, I feel painfully visible, and entirely ignored.”

- David Levithan, Every Day

29. “There are all kinds of addicts, I guess. We all have pain. And we all look for ways to make the pain go away."

- Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Did your favorite YA lit quote not make the list? Let me know about it in the comment section!