25 Ways That The University Of Michigan Is Like Hogwarts

We are the leaders and the best.

186
Lauren Moehle

Most Americans like to think that any old stone building looks like Hogwarts. The desire to live in a world of magic leads to wishful thinking that there is real magic hidden somewhere in the depths of those old brick buildings. This is no different at the University of Michigan. We like to brag that our Law Quad is basically the American Hogwarts. Is it? Is it not? Who knows? Nonetheless, there are many other aspects of being a Michigan Student that are reminiscent of life at Hogwarts

1. Your Acceptance Letter

Even though it may be delivered by the postal service and not by an owl, the acceptance letter opens the doors for future adventures at an exciting and well-known university.

2. Move-In Day

Nothing is more exciting or nerve-wracking than living on your own for the first time.

3. Difficult Classes

There's a reason why Michigan is ranked as the fourth best public university in the nation and why our undergraduate library is open 24/7.

4. Football Games At The Big House

Nothing is more inspiring than cheering on your team with 110,000 of your closest friends in the biggest college football stadium in the country.

5. People Try To Tell You That MSU Or OSU Is Better

Who are you trying to kid?

6. A Quidditch Team Ranked In The Top Ten In The Nation

Check it out. It's real. It's competitive. It's co-ed full contact.

7. Your Roommate/Housemates Have Someone Over

Nothing is more awkward or annoying than having to avoid your room or house.

8. No Extra Credit

Sometimes, even the best professors don't give any slack.

9. Declaring Your Major

Finding out what you want to do with your life and what direction you want to take is challenging and rewarding. If only a magical hat could tell us our destiny.

10. Canceled Classes

Getting to sleep in or end the day early are some of life's simple pleasures.

11. Care Packages From Your Mom

I think that my roommate gets more excited about care packages from my mom than I do.

12. Stepping On The M

Michigan 101: Do not step on the M. Even if you've already taken your first blue book, it's a sign of respect.

13. Finishing Finals

After a week or more of pure hell, finals ending is a cause for celebration.

14. Getting Your Test Scores Back

Well, you tried.

15. BurgerFi Is Open

Nothing beats late night food.

16. People Judge You For Being In Greek Life

Some people fit the stereotypes, some don't. You never know.

17. Not Doing The Reading

When the professor assigns 50+ pages of reading, that's a hard pass.

18. The Dining Hall

Living on your own makes you cherish even horrible dining hall food. Never take it for granted.

19. Jim Harbaugh

Welcome hoMe, Coach.

20. Winter Break

No classes. No responsibility. No problems.

21. Singing Along To The Victors

Hearing thousands of people join in at football games is sure to fill you with pride.

22. Friends Who Will Last For A Lifetime

Seriously. The people here are amazing.

23. Learning The Most From Your Least Favorite Professor

Professors may be mean, but they usually intend for you to actually learn something.

24. "The Very Potter Musical"

Darren Criss, you are a god-send.

25. Those Who Stay Will Be Champions

Even though this isn't Hogwarts, it's still a magical place.