24 Things I Learned While Studying Abroad In Paris

Paris is a city unlike any other.
89

Studying abroad is an irreplaceable experience, my time in Paris now a cherished memory. I lived and I (most definitely) learned. These are the things that Google doesn't tell you before you go It’s important to research customs before traveling to a new country.

1. The importance of experiences > things.

2. Knowledge is empowering.

3. The French can detect Americans from a mile away.

4. Uber is a legitimate lifesaver.

5. Length truly doesn’t define the quality of a friendship.

6. Sometimes it is okay to just go with the flow of things.

7. I could never live in a fashion capital because I love comfy clothes too much.

8. That smoking cigarettes, even in Disneyland Paris, is completely acceptable.

9. Jet-lag is a real thing.

10. Raising your hand at your server in a restaurant is expected, otherwise they won’t ever come back to check on your table.

11. Grafitti is an absolute art.

12. You have to fight for a place on the suburban train in the morning.

13. Open-mic nights are a must.

14. Microwaves, air conditioning, and window screens are unheard of.

15. The French like to stare.

16. “To go boxes” are not a thing.

17. Pizza is delivered via moped.

18. They don’t believe in Ranch dressing (devastating, I know).

19. Milka chocolate bars are to die for.

20. Making friends with the locals is beneficial.

21. Public restrooms are not free.

22. Seeing the Eiffel Tower at night really is magical.

23. The content on Netflix changes when you leave the country.

24. Living in Paris was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.