Every town has its own little quirks. While we have a few local restaurants (ZwanzigZ, Zaharakos, Joe Willy's, etc.), our little town is known among the locals for other (mostly infamous) reasons. If you're a Columbus native or have lived there for a significant number of years, you'll probably relate to, at the very least, a few of these.
1) The old Commons Mall was better
2) You don’t think the architecture is as impressive as outsiders do
“What are these statues even supposed to be?”
3) You’re either pro-North or pro-East.
The rivalry is so intense. (Go Olympians.)
4) You’ve seen Tony Stewart around town at least once
But you know not to bother him (and you know exactly where this mural is).
5) You like to mention our celebrities
Tony Stewart, Chuck Taylor, Mike Pence, the dude from Mythbusters…
6) Going to the mall is an all-day excursion
You can go to Edinburgh, which is fine, or drive the 45 minutes to Greenwood. Your choice.
7) You’ve been to Ceraland at least five times in your life
Putt putt? Swimming? You know where it is.
8) If you don’t play putt putt at Ceraland, you play at the place with the animals
But you probably don’t actually know what it’s called.
9) Q-Mix Fireworks
It feels like nearly everyone in town goes to this Fourth of July event.
10) You’re not entirely sure why we have an airport
Cummins and Atterbury use it. Does anyone else?
11) The day Musillami’s opens is the best day of your life
Allow me to gorge myself.
12 ) If someone moves to Columbus, it’s probably because of Cummins
Why else would you move here?
13) “I’m from Columbus.” “Oh, Ohio?”
It was THE place in middle school.
15) The best photoshoot places are Mill Race and downtown, mostly at the Cummin’s building by the fountain
The ivy just looks really nice, okay?
16) Your go-to for Mexican food is either Rivera Maya or (more recently) Camila’s
17) You’re not even worried when the tornado sirens go off anymore
Ninety-nine times out of 100, they won’t hit us.
18) You call it C-bus
Or is that just us college kids?
19) Homecoming isn’t a big deal, since we don’t even have a formal dance for it
And you were surprised to find it was a big deal in other places
20) The prom walk-in is a major event every year
Did y'all know this is just a Columbus thing? My roommate just informed me as I wrote this that other places don’t do this.
21) The county fair is a big deal, y’all
22) You always feel like there’s not really anything to do
Your idea of an adventure consists of going to McDonald’s for fries and then walking around Target.
23) The Columbus Marathon is only a few years old, but it manages to inconvenience you every single time
24) The Fair Oaks Mall is probably cursed
Stores go in, but nothing survives. Except the mall-walkers.
25) You can't wait to leave, but it's also home
It's a weird feeling.