25 Christmas Songs For The Traditionalist In You

A list of Christmas carols from the late 1700s to the 1980s.

84
Pasadena Community Orchestra

There’s something truly magical about the holiday season, and now that Thanksgiving is over, I’ll be the first to admit that I absolutely love Christmas. That’s right; I’m the girl who everyone rolls their eyes at. I’m the one who wants their Christmas tree put up as soon as possible and who buys candy canes and ginger bread, even if I don’t particularly like ginger bread, just to start celebrating the holiday season. The one thing, though, that I love above all else is Christmas music. There’s something amazing about listening to Leroy Anderson’s “Sleigh Ride” on repeat (something that I’ve been doing since before Halloween). For me, Christmas music involves the entire soundtrack to Irving Berlin’s "White Christmas."

Don’t get me wrong – I love Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas” as much as the next person, but I usually save singing that at the top of my lungs for parties with my friends. I usually only blast Bruce Springsteen’s “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” when driving down the highway. The rest of the time, I love to listen to jazzy, slower pieces, which really help put the meaning of Christmas into perspective. So, without further ado, here are the 25 best traditional Christmas songs, in no particular order.

1. “White Christmas” – Bing Crosby

I mean, it’s Bing Crosby. The Bing Crosby, performing the "White Christmas." This is traditional Christmas at its finest.

2.“Silver Bells” – Dean Martin

This song is exactly what I need to cheer me up once Christmastime rolls around. I’m still stunned whenever I hear Dean Martin sing.

3. “Hallelujah Chorus” from Messiah - George Frederic Handel

Even though this is supposed to be a piece celebrating Easter, everyone seems to perform it at Christmas concerts. I’m not complaining – I’ll listen to this all year round. No matter which choir decides to sing this, it turns out beautifully each time. I'm especially fond of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - they do a rendition that will blow you away.

4. “There’s No Place like Home for the Holidays” – Perry Como

This 1959 cover reminds you of, well, being home for the holidays. Perry Como has an incredible voice and his Christmas songs are just as iconic as Bing Crosby’s.

5. “Sleigh Ride” – Leroy Anderson (performed by Boston Pops)

I’m a sucker for a good orchestra, and the Boston Pops orchestra just about fits the ticket. This piece is fast-paced, fun and iconic. Nearly anybody who listens to Christmas music can identify the clip-clop and whinny at the end of this one.

6. “Winter Wonderland” – Tony Bennett

This 1968 cover of a “Winter Wonderland” is probably the most well-known one, and for good reason. Tony Bennett absolutely kills it.

7. “Little Drummer Boy” – Harry Simeone Chorale

Now, you’ve heard me say that I’m a sucker for a good orchestra, but that goes for choirs as well. The Harry Simeone Chorale recorded this is 1958, and it still remains a powerful classic.

8. “White Christmas” – The Drifters

Now, I know I already put Crosby’s “White Christmas” on here, but the Drifters do a fantastic rendition as well. Their R&B version of this classic Christmas tune will leave you doo-waping for days to come.

9. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” – Frank Sinatra

The best of the best. I couldn’t make a list of slow, jazzy pieces without at least one Frank Sinatra song.

10. “The Holy and the Ivy” – Westminster Cathedral Choir

Really, there’s nothing like a large choir, and this lesser-known Christmas carol displays the astounding range of the Westminster Cathedral Choir perfectly.

11. “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” – Andy Williams

Again, a mid-twentieth century piece to make you want to curl up in front of a fire with a large mug of hot chocolate.

12. “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)” – John Lennon

Even though I’m guilty of mimicking the children’s choir that performs as a backup in this song, it’s still a gorgeous piece. John Lennon is already known for his peace-preaching songs, and this one is no exception. Though more modern than some of the others on this list, it still captures the love that Christmas brings about.

13. “Let it Snow!” – Dean Martin

Thankfully less creepy than “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” this song still manages to capture one of the best parts of Christmas, the snow, while still sounding phenomenal.

14. “Ave Maria” – Franz Schubert

Since this song was written in 1825, this is definitely one of the oldest on the list. Even though “Ave Maria” wasn’t written with the intention of it being a Christmas song, it has long since been associated with the holiday. I left the original composer on this one because there are too many amazing singers to choose from. If you don’t mind listening to it in Latin, though, I’d definitely recommend Andrea Bocelli.

15. “Oh Come All Ye Faithful” – Nat King Cole

Honestly, this song is the embodiment of classic Christmas. From the moment it starts with a fanfare of trumpets, you know that it's going to be a great piece.

16. The Nutcracker – Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

This is truly a Christmas favorite. Dance troupes all over the country continue to perform this every year, and it never gets old. People continue to watch. The soundtrack is almost an hour of pure joy – what more could you ask for? I’m particularly fond of “Pas De Duex” and “Waltz of the Snowflakes”.

17. “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas” – Perry Como (featuring the Fontane Sisters)

It’s beginning to sound a lot like Christmas as well, once you have this song playing.

18. “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” – Bach Choir

You probably knew this was coming by now, but this performance involves a very talented choir who turn this traditional carol into something incredibly moving.

19. “Linus and Lucy” – Vince Guaraldi Trio

It’s Christmas, Charlie Brown! Somehow remembering Charlie Brown’s shabby little Christmas tree makes me feel better about my poorly decorated one.

20. “The First Noel” – Bing Crosby

There's a reason Bing Crosby sold over one billion records, CDs and tapes throughout his lifetime. After listening to this, you can probably see why.

21. “Joy to the World” – Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Of course, like many songs on this list, there are many incredible versions of this song that deserve recognition. But in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir’s rendition, they have a full choir and a full orchestra performing. As you’ve probably guessed, I love this one.

22. “O Holy Night” – Perry Como

This is the third time Perry Como has shown up on this list, and for good reason. Something about the way he sings just says ‘Christmas’ and ‘home’.

23. “Silent Night/Stille Nacht” – Vienna Boys Choir

There were almost too many versions of this song to choose from, but the Vienna Boys Choir does a really nice and peaceful rendition. This song sounds like a lullaby and has a calming effect on those who listen to it. It’s one of the most recognizable Christmas carols, no matter what language it’s sung in.

24.“The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth” – Bing Crosby and David Bowie

Bing Crosby. David Bowie. Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Need I say more?

25. “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” – Nat King Cole

More off of Nat King Cole’s Christmas album? Yes please!

Happy caroling!