25 Things To Make This Christmas More Christmasy

Challenge yourself to stop and smell the sugar cookies, and make the most of Christmas season

331
myself

Christmas time is by far the most special time of year. You see family you haven’t seen in months, eat so much food you could explode, and you’re so busy you can’t seem to hold on to the time that’s flying by.

Sometimes, we get so caught up in the chaos of the Christmas season that we don’t take time to focus on the importance of Christmas as a whole. Challenge yourself this year to stop and smell the sugar cookies and make the most of this Christmas season.

1. Make and send Christmas cards to anyone you can think of.

This year, I made Christmas cards with my dog and gave them to family and friends. It gave them a good giggle and made my day to see the smiles on their faces.

2. Make a Christmas treat – or 20.

Pinterest is loaded with cute ideas for Christmas snacks: melting snowmen made of marshmallows, Grinch kabobs made of grapes and strawberries, the ideas are endless (and delicious)!

3. Make a Christmas craft.

Christmas crafts provide so much more sentiment around the house than store-bought decorations.

4. Watch Christmas movies as much as possible.

I could quote the "Grinch" and "Elf" in my sleep. And you should be able to, too.

5. Listen to Christmas music – always.

It should be the background music to your thoughts by the end of the season.

6. Deck the halls.

If you’re not much of a decorator, try a few strands of light or tinsel. Decorating not only makes a home more comfy and Christmassy, but it brings the family together, too!

7. Set up a Christmas tradition.

Do an ornament trade-off each year, or a Secret Santa with socks, or maybe even bake cookies on Christmas Eve with your family. Traditions make simple holiday activities your own.

8. Host a Christmas meal with friends.

Have everyone bring over a homemade dish and sit and feast with your closest friends.

9. Leave a present for the mail carrier.

Think of what a happy surprise it would be to find a little treat for the work day in a stranger’s mailbox! What better time than the season for giving?

10. Deliver presents or treats to people in town who have to work on Christmas.

Christmas doesn’t always give the day off. Bake some cookies and take them to the local police station, library, or grocery store to those who took the burden of working on Christmas when they could be with their families. It is such a wonderful feeling seeing the happiness on their faces.

11. Donate.

Christmas is more than buying gifts for family and friends. Think of those who don’t get presents under the tree: orphanages, many in developing countries, the homeless.

12. Write Christmas cards.

It is always so much more meaningful to read a card written by a loved one than a card made up in the store. Take time to tell your family and friends how thankful you are for them!

13. Look for meaningful gifts.

Last year, my boyfriend was racking his mind of what to get me for Christmas. He stumbled upon a small butterfly pendant necklace and remembered my personal adoration for butterflies. It is one of the best gifts I have ever received because it meant something.

14. Make gifts.

This is great for you all like me with low budgets. Handmade gifts, like gifts with sentiment, go a long way in bringing joy to those we love on Christmas.

15. Make reindeer food and leave it out for -- well, you know.

16. Buy clothes for your dog.

My dog, Daisy (pictured above eating her Christmas sweater), hates Christmas clothes, but she sure does look cute in her little Christmas sweaters (maybe one day she’ll love it as much as my other dogs). It sure does bring joy to the household.

17. Help around the house more -- show your family that Christmas kindness.

Christmas doesn’t have to be about presents and treats. Simply cleaning the house for your mom or washing your dad’s car can mean the world to them.

18. Go look at lights!

Sight seeing beautiful Christmas lights is magical and memorable.

19. Do things for people -- just because.

Tip your waitress a solid $20, pay for the people behind you in line at Zaxby’s, leave a rose on a bench for the next person to sit there. Why? Because it’s CHRISTMAS!

20. Play a Christmas game.

You can pin the nose on Rudolph, host a scavenger hunt, or put out elf on the shelf, the ideas are endless! Last year, I had to pick up a bunch of marshmallows with chopsticks. It doesn’t have to make sense, it’s Christmas!

21. Don’t expect – accept with gratitude and thankfulness.

Expecting leads to false hope and selfishness. Christmas is not about getting what you want, but being thankful for what you have. It’s an honor people thought of you to buy a present for you in the first place.

22. Give, give, give as much as your heart (or wallet) will allow!

23. Cook a Christmas morning breakfast for the family.

Last year I made Mickey Pancakes; this year I plan on making Olaffles. What will you do?

24. Leave Santa milk and cookies – even if he stopped coming.

As I got older, I started leaving out a beer for when Santa gets done with all his efforts for the night. Santa seemed to appreciate that a little bit more.

25. Wear an ugly Christmas sweater and socks -- because why not.

Going to Walmart? Auto Zone? The bathroom? You know what to wear.

There are endless ideas you can implement to make Christmas fun and memorable. It is up to you to make Christmas as special as possible for both you and your family. I didn’t start doing the things on this list until a few years ago, and let me tell you, my Christmases have certainly been merrier and brighter than ever.