After My 22nd Birthday, Here Are 5 Lessons I’ve Learned Being In College

I'm finally feelin' 22.

26

I've had some growing up to get used to in these past few years of my life, but as a whole, my life has been full of excitement and mysteries so far. Though I'm still very young, I felt that it was appropriate to make a shortlist of things that I've learned as I've gone through each year of my life so far and to be able to reflect on it. Also considering my actual birthday is October 6th and each year I think back and remember how far I've come as a person, a daughter, a significant other, and a friend.

1. Pleasing everyone at once isn't possible.

Photo by Denys Nevozhai on Unsplash

We aren't octopi, we don't have 8 legs and can't do everything at one time. We're human, we have to take things as they come to us, watch people walk into and out of our lives, and we can't make everyone in our lives happy 100% of the time. Decisions are decisions for a reason: we choose something over the other, sacrificing the element that we don't choose. The path that we take won't always be the right one, but if we make it out alive and still have family and friends there at the end, then we're doing something right.

2. Being a female in a mostly male world isn't limiting.

Photo by AIKIG on Unsplash

Since the dawn of our time as humans, societal customs have come to recognize men as more able, capable and professional over women. Without getting into a debate about this, all I'll say is that there is female power upon our Earth and it shines so bright. In another way, no one should ever feel like they're alone or even struggling to get through something alone. The right people will be there with a helping hand to get you out of a rut and into a better place — man or woman.

3. Making an impact doesn't have to be difficult.

Photo by Tom Ezzatkhah on Unsplash

I've come to realize that I can make a difference every day in my life just by helping someone or making someone smile. It doesn't take much and it goes so far. Everyone has meaning and a purpose, a reason for being here, whether they choose to believe it or not. Just by living out our lives, we're making a difference. One bigger than humanity ever could imagine us making at this point in time.

4. Don't overwhelm yourself with too many things at once.

Photo by Radu Florin on Unsplash

I can't stress this enough. I've already grown grey hair because of how stressed out I get from working so much and trying to take too many college classes. Our focus can only be in one place at a time and each situation we put ourselves into requires all of our focus and critical thinking. When I'm at work, I'm in work mode. The moment that I leave work, I remember all of the other things that need to be done, all rushing into my head. It can become very overwhelming and it doesn't have to be. Take everything one at a time and go at a slower pace if need be. Get through things at 100% instead of giving something only 50%, another only 30 and another only 20.

5. Your happiness needs to come first.

Photo by Sasha Freemind on Unsplash

This is the ultimate goal to achieve. Personal happiness and satisfaction should be a prized possession kept in a glass case on a pedestal. I've always been told that before I can love someone else, I have to love myself first. While I can't make that happen, I do still try to make myself happy, even if I'm not satisfied with who I am. If I'm happy, then the rest of it doesn't matter.

Regardless of your lifestyle, I hope that you take this advice and run with it. These are things that I live by and remind myself of each time I get stuck. It helps to know that there are people who support and love you and who would go miles and miles for you. Know your value and your worth.