22 things I learned by 22

22 things I learned by 22

It is very okay to not know yet

197
22 things I learned by 22

1. It is very okay to not know yet

I have absolutely zero idea where my life with be in 5 years, let alone by in 1. I've learned that it is entirely okay to not have everything figured out right now

2. The glorification of busy is super annoying to me

Everyone has a lot going on all the time, belittling people for their level of busyness is a massive pet peeve of mine

3. Always remain kind no matter the situation, people will remember you for it

Be the reason that someone smiles each day, the world needs more happy

4. It is important to make your voice heard when speaking about things that matter to you. It is also important to be a listener when people have opposing views about the things that matter to you. Listen to learn, don't listen to respond

I have learned when to bite my tongue and when to be loud about the things that are important to me

5. No matter how busy you are, there is always enough time to grab coffee or ice-cream with friends

Everyone needs a break and a 20 minute friend date makes everything better. Focus on making memories, you'll regret it if you don't

6. I do not have time for people who do not have time for me

You can give and give and give to a friendship but if they don't reciprocate any effort, it is not worth my time

7. My obsession with true crime is probably very unhealthy & that is okay

@crimejunkiepodcast, I love you so much

8. Working hard for your grades is important but GPA is only a number that has no affect who you are as a person

If you choose to let a number define who you are, you're missing out on a lot of things in life

9. Listen to your gut when making decisions, it's always right

There have been so many times that I have had to make a decision that I didn't want to do but I knew was right

10. Stop apologizing for everything all the time

This has been my goal for 2019, to stop apologizing for every single thing. It devalues the apology when you actually are sorry

11. Take LOTS of pictures and videos - one of my favorite pastimes is to watch old videos from freshman year with my girlfriends

Seriously, my favorite past time

12. Eat the dessert, every time

There has not been a single dessert that I have regretted, I promise

13. Invest your money in experiences rather than tangible things. My best purchases have been plane tickets and concert tickets

Memories are more important than fashion trends or new technology

14. Stop comparing your life to others, everyone is fighting their own battle

Reflecting back on my article titled, Behind the Smile, I truly learned that every single person has something going on behind closed doors. Again, it is important to remain kind in every situation

15. Don't forget to forgive yourself, life is tough on everyone

I have made a lot of mistakes in my 22 years but its important to forgive yourself and allow yourself to learn from those mistakes

16. Not everyone you meet is going to like you & that's okay. You are not going to like everyone you meet either, but it is important to always treat them with respect

You don't have to be best friends with everyone, but you do need to show everyone kindness

17. You can never have too many candles, there is always a reason to buy one more

@ Bath and Body Works, I also love you so much

18. Quality over quantity when it comes to friends

I have had 10 of the best girlfriends throughout my entire time in college who I know I can pour my heart to and also go grab drinks with, those are the types of friends that make like so special

19. The Office is the best show in the world & I will continue to rewatch it over and over again

Season 7, Episode 17

20. Impulse decisions are some of my favorites, especially when they lead to buying a german shorthair puppy in the middle of your accounting class (my sweet penny girl)

Honestly, one of my best decisions in my 22 years

21. I am a major homebody and enjoy nothing more than being cozied up with the people I love

I get excited knowing that I get to have a cozy night in, but it hasn't been until recently that I've very homesick for Minnesota. It's home to me and I am so excited to go back after graduation in May

22. Everything truly does happen for a reason, sometimes you just need to sit back and watch God work his magic on your life.

Every time I have tried to make a plan for my life, something else has been tossed my way and caused a dramatic plot twist in my life story. It's been so fun to watch how my life is unfolding completely different that I had ever planned (@ lowellgreen, you were my favorite plot twist)

I am so excited to see what year twenty two brings :)