22 Compliments Not Based On Physical Appearance

Compliments are the bomb. Let's just throw that out there right now-- everyone likes hearing positive comments about themselves. "Compliment" is generally a word people associate with physical appearance. It is natural, as that is probably what 95% of our current society's compliments are focused on, and I want to start by saying that there is nothing wrong with complimenting someone's appearance. In fact, I heavily encourage it.

If your friend looks bomb, tell her. Is she working that haircut? You better let her know. See a random girl in the bathroom and love her outfit? Absolutely, go ahead and inform her of her on-point style. I am all about letting other people know when they are looking good-- it could make someone's day. However, there are so many other, less common, ways to compliment people. These ways have nothing to do with the way someone looks, but they are so important.

The thing is, the more we offer our peers appearance-focused compliments, the more it perpetuates the myth that our physical attributes are the most important characteristics we have to offer the world. I get it though-- it may be difficult or awkward to think of compliments that aren't about physical appearance because for many of us, that's all we know. Therefore, I have compiled a list of non-appearance related compliments. I don't know about you guys, but I would much rather receive any of these than "you look pretty".

1. You make people feel good about themselves.

2. You're such a good listener.

3. You're really going to make a difference in the world someday.

4. I'm so glad I met you.

5. I love how passionate you are about ________.

6. I never get tired of being around you.

7. You make people feel important.

8. You're so understanding.

9. I feel like I can tell you anything.

10. You're a strong person.

11. You're so good at being creative.

12. You can lead people without being bossy.

13. Your happiness is contagious.

14. You have really opened my eyes about _______.

15. Our conversations always make me feel better.

16. I can always count on you to be there for me.

17. It's amazing how far out of your way you go to help people.

18. You're a selfless person.

19. You are always so much fun to be around.

20. You can make people laugh on their worst days.

21. You're so good at making people feel welcome.

22. I couldn't imagine my life without you.