21 Things Latinas Are DONE Hearing

21 Things Latinas Are DONE Hearing

No, you cannot call me "Mami."

26
21 Things Latinas Are DONE Hearing
Unsplash

A person can only have so much patience in this world. The stresses of everyday life are enough to fill the day, which means that I don't need the added comments that I've heard a thousand other times.

1. Being called “Spanish”

Let us first establish that Spanish = from Spain. Hispanic = from a Spanish speaking country (does not include Brazil). Latina/o/x= From a Latin American country (does not include Spain)

2. “You’re so spicy”

I’m not a food thank you very much. I’m not a hot tamale either....

3. “ Ay! Muy Caliente!”

4. “Oh So you’re from Mexico!”

Yes, some of us are and Mexican culture is amazing, but there is a whole continent worth of countries with different foods, styles, and traditions that we come from

5. “Can you say something cool in Spanish/ Portuguese?"

We appreciate the interest in our beautiful language, not all Latinx/ Hispanic people can speak Spanish and that’s okay!

6. Saying random words to us in Spanish

I love love love it when people are genuinely invested in learning and appreciating the Spanish language. Unfortunately, too many times it’s just making fun of my culture.

7.“I knew you were Hispanic! You look so exotic.”

8. “If you’re Latina/ Hispanic how come you’re so white?”

Latinx people come from so many different countries and regions that we run the spectrum of color. At the end of the day, Latinx/ Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race.

9. “If you’re Latina/ Hispanic, how come you are black?”

See above! Afro-Latinos are from everywhere!

10. “You speak English so well!”

While this may seem like a compliment, it is really a micro-aggression based on assumptions.

11. “Why are all Latinas so loud?”

Maybe we are just trying to speak over all of your stereotypes!

12. “I’ve always wanted to date a Latina.”

My culture is not a fetish. And what exactly do you mean a Latina? We all look, act, and live differently.

13. “Hispanic girls are crazy, you all have quick tempers.”

Maybe because we’re over all the BS like this we hear.

14. Stereotypical comments about what a latina’s body should look like.

We all don’t have a tiny waist, big hips, and big butt. We come in all shapes and sizes. Big, small and everything in between.

15. Being called Mami

Personally, I just think it’s a little weird. Do you go around calling girls “mom”? If so, very concerned. If not, then why do you think it’s acceptable to do the exact same thing in another language?

16. “Can you call me ‘Papi’ ?”

Again, weird. And, like why?

17. “So you can cook me some amazing rice and beans right?”

So, first, that’s sexist. Second, I usually buy canned Goya beans so no….

18. “Can you teach me to salsa?”

Some of us probably can, but not all of us have the talent. We can’t all be Shakira… some of our hips do lie.

19. "The only reason you got into this school is because you're Hispanic"

This is rude and hurtful. Our accomplishments are based on our hard work and that should not be taken away from us.

20. “Where are you really from?

Uhhh….. Philadelphia? Colombia? What do you mean?

21. “Are you illegal?”

NO. HUMAN. BEING. IS. ILLEGAL. And that’s a very rude question to ask anyone, in any situation.