2020's Most Anticipated Movies: My Top 10 from ASU

New year, new movies. Check out my top 10 most anticipated movies for 2020.

39
Noah Jupe, Millicent Simmonds and Emily Blunt return as the Abbott family in "A Quiet Place Part II." It's a tight angle shot of the actors walking through a sunny field surrounded by overgrown brush and grass. Blunt carries a baby in her left arm.
Jonny Cournoyer

With 2019 in the past, movie-goers have a new year and new decade of movies coming their way in 2020. Check out the movies I'm most excited to see this year, in release date order.

'Sonic The Hedgehog'

When Dr. Ivo Robotnik screams "give me a big fat break," one can only imagine that the "Sonic The Hedgehog" animators said those exact words. Whether or not the movie is good, it deserves support after the Internet cyber-bullied film creators to scrap the original horrendous animation and redesign the blue blur to his truer video game form. Take your date (or treat yourself) to this movie on Valentine's Day, February 14.

'A Quiet Place Part II'

"The people that are left, are not the kind of people worth saving." With a line like that, it sounds like they are taking a route that AMC's "The Walking Dead" has taken. The monsters are no longer the only threat to the Abbott family, played by Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe. John Krasinski returns as the writer and director for this highly-anticipated sequel on March 20.

'The New Mutants'

"The New Mutants" has a cool premise, but it's had bad luck with continuous pushed back release dates as far back as April 2018. Five young mutants (including Charlie Heaton, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rahne Sinclair and Henry Zaga) are held in a secret facility against their will while discovering their abilities in this superhero horror movie. Hopefully, the premiere date will stay as April 3.

'Black Widow'

After knowing the results of "Avengers: Endgame," it'll be interesting to see what they do with a Black Widow movie that feels too late. Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, Rachel Weisz and David Harbour star in this story about Natasha Romanoff's adventures between "Civil War" and "Infinity War." See it on May 1.

'Wonder Woman 1984'

Some people are probably thinking, "Wait, Steve Trevor is back?" But my focus is on Kristen Wiig as Barbara Minerva (A.K.A. Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis Cheetah in the DC comic books). The sequel to "Wonder Woman 1984" is set to premiere on June 5.

'Soul'

Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey and Daveed Diggs star in Disney Pixar's "Soul." The film is about a lost musician who finds a young soul to help him find his way back home. The sprites are reminiscent of the "Inside Out" characters, so I can already feel the tears welling up. Check out the movie on June 19.

'In The Heights'

"Crazy Rich Asians" director Jon M. Chu directs a feature movie version of the Broadway musical brought to life by Lin-Manuel Miranda. A bodega owner has conflicted feelings about closing his store and retiring to the Dominican Republic after inheriting his grandmother's fortune. Dance your way to theaters on June 26.

'Top Gun: Maverick'

Tom Cruise reprises his role as Pete "Maverick" Mitchell in this "Top Gun" sequel in which he's a test pilot after more than 30 years of service. The movie also brings back Val Kilmer as Iceman, and it introduces Miles Teller as Nick's son Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw. See it when it flies into theaters on June 26.

'Tenet'

This is a fantastic trailer to hype up audiences for "Tenet," an action thriller about espionage and time travel. With the element of time back again, Christopher Nolan writes and directs the cast including Robert Pattinson and John David Washington. The movie premieres in theaters on July 17.

'The King's Man'

The latest movie in the "Kingsman" series, "The King's Man" follows one man who must stop history's worst tyrants as they plot a war that could kill millions of people. Starring Ralph Fiennes, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Gemma Arterton, the film is set to premiere September 18.

What are you excited for?

Tell me what you're excited to see in 2020! I can't wait to hear what's on your watch list.

Follow Samantha Incorvaia on Twitter at @_SamI520.