3 Poetry Books Worth Buying In 2020 Because It Is The Year of Loving Ourselves

There's more to life than sad, dreadful poetry!

5
Alvaro Serrano on Unsplash

Poetry, just like any other art form, is in the eye of the beholder. However, these specific collections truly communicate the ideas of building yourself back up and putting your negative experiences behind you. I have read these phenomenal works cover to cover more than once! They were published a few years ago, but their content is still relevant today.

The Boys I've Loved and the End of the World by Catarine Hancock.

Catarine Hancock on Instagram @catarinehancock

Okay, the title sounds a bit negative. I've read this on and off and overall it's a fantastic collection of poems! In this particular book, Hancock includes more negative experiences than good ones. Why I included this selection is because it helps other people relate to her experiences and to not feel so alone. There are feminist pieces sprinkled throughout which elevates the mood of the collection. Plus, the cover is a soft pink which brings a more positive note to the work!

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur.

Sincerely Media on Unsplash

We are all made of stories and have multiple layers to who we are, and Kaur's clever usage of the flower's stages beautifully depicts this. As she chronicles the stages of wilting, falling, rooting, rising, blooming and healing, she personifies the flower as experiencing the same events that she did. I found myself reading this quite a few times last winter and it gave me a fresh perspective for anything life threw at me. At first, the poetry has themes of wilting and falling which are the negative experiences that we want to put behind us. Then, you grow roots in the new chapter of your life and you begin to blossom. Self-care and love involves all of these steps and it is time that we all begin this practice!

The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One by Amanda Lovelace.

The Sartorial Geek

Last but not least, the fiery feminist piece of many by Amanda Lovelace. The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One is an absolute masterpiece in my opinion. Each page discusses overthrowing the monarchy and women finally being treated as equal. The red text and cover adds a cosmetic aspect that factors into the overall appearance of the book and lures in readers to see what they have been needing all this time. In my experience with Lovelace's other works, her poems have helped me through some rough patches and I think they will help you too. After all we are entering a new DECADE and only want the best energy for ourselves!