10 Things I Have Learned from the Past Decade

10 years full of so much prayer, progress, and love!

51

2019, wow what a year. 2010s, wow what a decade! Life has been full of so many blessings so far, and it is crazy to think back to that little girl, who had just started playing soccer, was nine years ago. These past ten years have taught me so much; it has taught me about life, love, and family. It has taught me how to take a step back and soak it all in, it has taught me to enjoy the company you surround yourself with, but to also choose your company wisely. However, the top ten things I have learned are down below, and I hope they mean as much to you as they did to me!

1. Enjoy every moment

Life is so short, and we often forget to take in every moment we experience. Whether it is a bon fire with friends, a concert, a party, dinner with family; be present wherever you are because you never know when it can all be taken away.

2. Pray, even if you don't want to

My faith and connection with The Lord has been something I have struggled with. I have learned that we must pray on the good days as much as we pray on our bad days. God wants to listen and wants to talk, but we have to be the ones to initiate it.

3. Workout your mind as much as you workout your body

Our society focuses more on our physical appearance more than our mental, and that is something that needs to change. We are all unique in our own ways and deserve to love ourselves in every aspect of our lives. Take time to get to know yourself, because that is the person who matters the most!

4. Be kind

I'm not going to sit here and act as if I am Ghandi, however I have learned that being kind goes a long way. From a smile, to a "thank you", to a hug, being kind to not only yourself but others is worth it. You never know what someone is going through so be kind!!

5. Travel

Experiencing different people and places is a big part of growing as a person. Being able to understand where someone comes from and who they are, creates a deeper connection that we all should strive more for! Also, you get really cool souvenirs!!!!

6. Forget the calories, EAT THE CAKE

Like I said before life is SO short. Eat the cake, the french fries, the ice cream! Good food is not something you should pass on, and I am a firm believer that every piece of junk food is ALWAYS worth it!! You can always start that diet on Monday!

7. Call your family

I am probably the worst when it comes to this, but over the past year, I have learned that simply hearing my mom or dad's voice always makes me feel better. Their repetition of stories, horrible dad-jokes, and amazing advice is what got me through my first year and half of college, and I am forever grateful. So talk to your family, I promise that they will always pick up.

8. Challenge yourself

Everyday you should wake up and do something that scares you and excites you. This past decade has definitely thrown me some major curveballs, but has also shown me that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Step outside of your comfort zone!!

9. Dream big

My dad always told me to reach for the stars, and that is something I will always live by. Without dreams, everything that exists today would not be here. Dream boldly and do not be afraid to go for it, you never know what could happen.

10. Love

This word. It means so much to me. Love yourself. Love your neighbor. Love your foe. Love your family. JUST LOVE. There is too much hate in this world these days, and loving others is the only way to stop hate. I know and reassure myself daily that love will most certainly drive out the hatred that our world is infested with. Loving someone, yourself, and life is the best thing I have learned, and I cannot wait to do more of it!

2019, let alone the whole decade, has made me so much more grateful for this life I have been blessed with. There have been many hardships along with many, many triumphs and I am so lucky to have been able to experience them all. I am lucky for every breath, every hug, every dance, and every day I have been given. As I approach this new decade and new year ahead I will be more present, more kind, and definitely more loving. Here's to 2020, and the next decade!! Cheers!