2020: A Bittersweet Twist?

2020: A Bittersweet Twist?

An unpopular opinion: 2020 has changed the world for the better

23
2020: A Bittersweet Twist?

Our world is shifting and we are going through a significant transition right now. if you have been spending any time watching mainstream media there is no doubt that you have come across the question "what is going on in the world right now"? Whether it be a conversation at the dinner table or simply a thread you found on twitter it is obvious that we are confused, shocked and even afraid of the atrocities that 2020 has sprung onto us.

It is safe to say that last New Year's Eve none of us would have expected any of this as we were counting down the seconds into a new decade.

Between the president of the United States of America facing an impeachment trial, a global pandemic, deadly wildfires that blazed through Australian forests, the death of George Floyd and the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement, or the humanitarian crisis happening in Yemen. I think that it is safe to say that our world is changing.

The way that I look at it may differ from the popular opinion but I am hoping that by posting this I will be able to change your perspective.

Although 2020 has been full of unexpected and unwanted surprises I do feel like there has been some good that has come out of the bad.

In a bittersweet twist, the sudden slowdown of life as we know it has finally allowed nature to take a breath "coincidentally" while we hold ours!

Our world is finally getting a chance to restore itself to the beautiful place that it was intended to be without human destruction.

Similarly, while nature has been restoring itself to its fullest glory humanity has also been facing its greatest awakening! Not only did George Floyd's death open the door to a much larger systemic issue BUT it brought millions of people TOGETHER AGAIN.

For the first time in history, the entire world has been forced to confront the same challenge at the same time. With the help of social media, we have all fallen victim to the same crises of 2020 and finally, we cannot sit back and ignore what we see.

"We are no longer accepting the things that we cannot change but rather changing the things that WE cannot accept." - Angela Y. Davis

And that's pretty damn amazing!

So yes, this decade did get off to a rough start, but it is safe to say that it hasn't been all bad. There has been some light at the end of this tunnel and it is important that we let that light shine through.

Stay uplifted & Stay strong.