10 Movies To See Before The 2019 Oscars

10 Movies To See Before The Oscars

And the Academy Award goes to.....

41
10 Movies To See Before The Oscars

The 91st Academy Awards ceremony is set to take place on February 24, 2019, with the nominees to be announced on January 22nd.

While the official nominees have yet to be announced, there are a few movies that are definitely on the Oscars radar. Here is a list of potential Oscar nominations for this year in order for you to get ahead in your movie viewing and make your award predictions before the ceremony.

1. Vice

If this movie is not nominated for at least a Best Actor Award, I would be shocked. Christian Bale gained 40 pounds in order to play former Vice President Dick Cheney for this movie. This movie follows the former VP during his time in office as he strives to be the most powerful vice president in history. "Vice" is already a strong contender, as shown by its six Golden Globe nominations and one win for Christian Bale's portrayal of Dick Cheney. This one is an essential view for anyone looking to follow Oscar nominees.

2. Green Book

"Green Book" follows the true story of the unlikely friendship between black jazz pianist Don Shirley and Italian bouncer Tony Vallelonga, set in the 1960s as the latter serves as a bodyguard for Shirley during his tour. This is another strong contender, as shown by its win of Best Picture, Best Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actor at the Golden Globes. "Green Book" has garnered widespread critical acclaim and gained audience approval. This suggests that the movie is an easier watch, as compared to the dark and dense films typically celebrated at the Oscars.

3. BlacKkKlansman

"BlacKkKlansman," directed by Spike Lee, is based on the true story of Ron Stallworth, the first black detective in his Colorado Springs, CO police department, as he sets out to infiltrate and expose the local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. This movie received four Golden Globe nominations including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actor. "BlacKkKlansman" seems almost a given to be nominated, as it directed by seasoned director Spike Lee and features subject matter on a topic that the typically whitewashed Oscars cannot afford to ignore.

4. The Favourite

"The Favourite" follows the reign of Queen Anne I in the early 18th century as two of her court favorites compete to win her favor and ultimately gain control over court politics. This is another potential nominee that was celebrated at the Golden Globes with five nominations and one win for actress Olivia Colman for her portrayal of Queen Anne I. No Oscar lineup would be complete without a period piece and this movie fulfills that purpose. However, its clever and witty script and excellent performances by the cast make this movie stand out and avoid the stuffiness often associated with period pieces.

5. A Star is Born

If you haven't yet watched this movie, stop right now and get to it. "A Star Is Born" stars Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, as country musician Jackson Maine (Cooper) falls in love with Ally (Gaga), a budding musician. This movie was nominated for five Golden Globes and is a strong contender to rack in the same amount, or even more, nominations for the upcoming Oscars. From the moment this movie was released, it has garnered both audience and critical acclaim, and it would be shocking for it to miss out on any of the big awards.

6. Beautiful Boy

"Beautiful Boy" follows the true story of father David Sheff as he struggles to deal with his son's drug addiction. This movie is led by Oscar-nominated actors Steve Carell and Timothée Chalamet. While this movie may not be nominated for as many awards as the previous mentions on this list, it is due to at least procure a nomination for Chalamet for his gripping and haunting portrayal of someone struggling with drug addiction. This movie is available to stream for free for Amazon Prime members as well.

7. Can You Ever Forgive Me?

This movie follows the true story of writer Lee Israel as she tries to revive her failed writing career by forging letters from deceased authors. While this movie flew lower on the radar than some of the other entries on this list, the performances by actors Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant were amazing. That alone makes this movie a strong contender for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor nominations.

8. If Beale Street Could Talk

This movie follows a woman who sets out to clear the name of her lover after he is wrongly accused of a crime he did not commit. Having already nabbed a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress, this movie seems like it could be a strong contender for the Oscars. While it is still relatively new as far as release, "If Beale Street Could Talk" has been on the Oscar radar since the development stage. This movie is another great addition to anyone's Oscar viewing list.

9. Black Panther

If you reading this and you have yet to see "Black Panther," you need to re-evaluate your priorities. While this movie is not what is typically expected of Oscar-nominated movies, there is much reason to believe it will snag a nomination or two. This movie came out in February, which is particularly early for Oscar bait. And let's not forget, this is a superhero movie and not a drama or historical piece. However, "Black Panther" stands out against all other possible nominations.

"Black Panther" took the film world by storm in 2018 with its predominantly black cast setting precedent for how the inclusion of racial minorities in movies should be done, and for that, it should be celebrated. It has already gained three Golden Globe nominations as well, which will increase the chance of gaining Oscar nominations. If you have not yet seen "Black Panther," you have no excuse since it is available on Netflix.

10. Roma

From the director of "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" and "Gravity" comes "Roma," a semi-autobiographical tale depicting Alfonso Cuarón's upbringing in Mexico City. This movie is critically acclaimed and has already won a number of awards. This is surprising, as "Roma" is a Netflix original film; for a film produced by a streaming service to receive such accolades is unprecedented. "Roma" is already a finalist for the award of Best Foreign Language Film for the upcoming Academy Awards, having already won the same award at the Golden Globes. You can easily watch "Roma" on Netflix.