365 New Days, 365 New Chances

365 New Days, 365 New Chances

This year can be the beginning of anything you want.

287
365 New Days, 365 New Chances
123rf

It is a new year, and a lot can happen in a year. But this year can be the beginning of anything you want. There are so many new chances you can take to help get your life on the right track to happiness. Take a moment, close your eyes, and give thanks for how far you've come, how much you've transformed, and how much you're still evolving daily.

To help you get on the right track for the new year, here is a list of resolution ideas!

1. Drink more water.

Drinking water is so healthy for you and helps you stay hydrated all day. I drink a glass of water every night before I go to bed, and I am trying to take pop out of my diet completely.

2. Get more sleep.

This is something I really need to work on. Since becoming a college student, I have had the bad habit of staying up way too late binge-watching TV shows on Netflix. Getting enough sleep is very important in our hectic daily schedules.

3. Read more.

I have a list of 40 books I want to read before the end of the year. As a writer, it is important for me to keep reading because it improves my vocabulary and creativity.

4. Stress less.

I tend to overthink a lot, especially about my future, which I talk more about in my self-care article. Having so much stress built up is NOT healthy. When I first started college, I had a lot of stomach issues due to my stress. In the new year, I plan on managing my stress so that it does not take over my life!

5. Cut out unnecessary spending.

Another big thing I need to work on. Cut out the unnecessary $5 Starbucks drinks and the impulse shopping. Gotta save up my $$$ for those student loans (eek).

6. Eat healthily.

Healthy eating is the biggest thing I need to work on in the new year. Over the summer, I went on a Paleo diet, which I strayed away from once I got back to school. The Paleo diet is a diet that my parents went on after my dad suffered a massive heart attack in February of 2016. The Paleo diet says to avoid ALL grains (no pasta or bread), sugars, potatoes, processed food, overly salty foods, and refined vegetable oils. The Paleo diet says to eat fish, meat, fresh fruits and vegetables, eggs, nuts, seeds, and healthy oils (olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut). When I was on this diet over the summer, I felt SO GOOD and SO HEALTHY. It is hard to stay on the diet (I like pasta a lot), but whenever I would cheat and go off the diet, I would feel bloated and HORRIBLE. Highly recommend at least trying this diet!

7. Write more.

Besides my weekly Odyssey articles, I hope to write something every day, whether it's a short story, a few chapters of a novel, or even a poem.

8. Get back into an old hobby.

I played piano for over 10 years, and then my busy college schedule prevented me from continuing to play/teach piano. I want to get back into my piano hobby by playing a little bit every day.

9. Get in shape.

I want to get to the point where I can walk across campus or up a flight of stairs and not be out of breath.

10. Love yourself.

Inhale confidence. Exhale doubt.

11. Get rid of a bad habit.

For example, procrastinating or spending too much time on social media.

12. Be more positive.

Be open-minded, stay true to yourself and others, and live in the moment.

Practice forgiveness.

Let go of anger.

Tell others you love them, often.

Pay yourself a compliment — every day.

Celebrate the small things.

Don't judge.

Practice gratitude.

Spend your time with people who make your heart sing and lift you up.

Dream big.

May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams, and tell yourself, "This will be MY year."