20 Timeless LIfe Lessons We Learned From "The Office"

Everyone has a Jim Halpert out there waiting for them.

1822
TV Style Guide

It's a Friday night, too tired to go out, too lazy to invite people in. What do you do? Netflix. More specifically, " The Office". Why "The Office"? Anyone who's seen the show admires it's timeless humor and oddly relatable characters (Do I really relate to the baby-faced, over-dramatic beat farmer with an extensive background knowledge on bears? You're damn right I do). Mixed in with it's perfectly timed jokes, the show's story line actually holds some very useful life lessons. Here are 20 things that I learned from watching "The Office".

1. Love isn't easy.

From the very beginning, we see the struggle for love between Jim Halpert and Pam Beesley. Much like a lot of people, their problem was the timing of it all. Pam was engaged to someone else while Jim was single, then when Pam finally broke her engagement to recognize her feelings for Jim, he began a relationship with someone else. The timing is never going to be perfect. It just isn't. You can't fix the timing. But if it's the right person, you'll make it work. You'll throw that "bad timing" out the window and find every way possible to be with that person.

2. Everyone has a Jim Halpert out there waiting for them.

They're out there. Trust me. It may take longer than anticipated to find them, but if you're really soulmates, you'll eventually find your way to each other. Everyone deserves a Jim Halpert in their life. Someone who sees them as the most amazing person in the world and would do anything and be anything for them.

3. Never keep a George Foreman grill next to your bed

Self-explanatory. Don't do it. Even if you absolutely love waking up to the smell of bacon, don't do it. Because you will step on it, grill your foot, then be forced to make a cast out of bubble wrap. You'll regret it.

4. Encouragement is key, in any form.

Just like Michael's annual Dundies awards, everyone deserves recognition for their work. Whether it is a silly little award or a pat on the bag, people love support and being shown that they mean something.

5. Do NOT microwave your pita for more than 30 seconds, especially unsupervised.

Because pitas are apparently extremely flammable. You don't want to be known around the office as "Fire Guy," do you? Nope, didn't think so.

6. You're never too old to earn your black belt.

Everyone needs confidence and dedication like Dwight K. Schrute. He earned his black belt as a grown man, and was so proud of it. The lesson here is that you're never too old to reach for your dreams and grab them.

7.Aim for the win-win-win solution in all scenarios.

Not win-lose, not lose-lose, not even win-win. Aim for the resolution in which everyone wins, even the mediator. The mediator obviously deserves recognition for their job well done in solving conflict.

8. Don't go to prison.

Self-explanatory. Prison Mike will tell you all of the horrors of being in the slammer. Watch out for the dementors.

9. Benihana can mend any broken heart.

There's nothing like dinner entertainment to keep your mind off of the guy/girl who just broke your heart. Something about that flaming onion tower just resides in me, kind of a metaphor for love, right?

10. Everyone has a 'Toby' in their life.

Whether it's on purpose or not, everyone has that one person in their life who they use as an emotional punching bag. Really, they haven't done anything wrong besides be in the wrong place at the wrong time, standing right in the middle of your path of rage. Don't let your hate for whatever's happening in your life blind you from seeing that they're people too. At the same time, don't be a 'Toby'. Don't let people walk all over you. Stand up for yourself.

11. No one wins in an affair. Ever.

Affairs are ugly. Plain and simple. You may think that you'll be the exception and that somehow you'll be able to get away with it, but you won't. And in the process, you'll break not only your partner's hearts, but your own. It isn't worth it, don't do it.

12. There's a reason that it's frowned upon to shout "Fire!!" in a crowded room.

As we saw from Dwight's impromptu fire drill, it's not a good idea. Pure panic ensues. Makes for arguably the best TV intro of the series, but not a good workplace drill.

13. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Don't see a future at your current paper company? Duh, just go start your own paper company. Easy solution. But seriously, if you want to get something done, get out there and do it yourself. Make your own dreams come true.

14. Forever by Chris Brown is a wedding song MUST.

Enough said.

15. There's no stress that a game-night can't fix.

Much like Michael's favorite Murder-mystery game, an easy solution to impending stress is a game night with friends. It's an easy way to get your mind off of whatever bad news is coming your way.

16. Goodbyes hurt.

Saying goodbye to people that you've known for years is never easy. It's going to hurt, regardless of how you try to cope with it. In a way, it's good that they hurt, it proves the deep love you have for them and the solid bond you share. Goodbyes are temporary, more like a "see you later."

17. You can get a lot done at 5 AM.

Much like Jim's fake crime scene in his hotel room, you'd be surprised what you can get done in the early hours in the morning. Clean your room, write a paper, frame your friend for murder, you name it!!!

18. Criticism isn't always a bad thing.

Complaint cards can be made into team-building projects. You can build a huge tower with those bad boys. The point is, criticism leads to improvement. It can lead to bigger and better things. In all aspects.

19. You'll find family in the most obvious places.

Just look around. They're everywhere. Your classmates, your coworkers, your neighbors. Everyone. Everyone has the potential to be your family. Surround yourself with positivity and love.

20. You'll always find your way back to your people.

Like Jim and Pam, Michael and Holly, and Dwight and Angela, things might not go exactly how you planned, but in the end, it'll all work out. No matter the distance between you, no matter the amount of time spent apart, you'll always come back to the people you're meant to be with. If they're supposed to be in your life, they will be.