20 Netflix Picks To Get You In The Halloween Mood

It's never too early to enjoy a spooky movie.

254
iHorror

Yeah, I know August isn't even over yet, but that doesn't stop me from getting into the Halloween spirit. If you're like me and appreciate a good scary movie, or if you're not so into it but looking for a movie that'll give you an excuse to scoot a little closer to your crush, this is the list for you. Viewer discretion is advised...seriously some of these are just messed up. Hopefully these movies will make the new Netflix tax a little more worth it.

1. Hush

So, basically this poor deaf woman moves out into the middle of nowhere to live alone and away from everyone, and then winds up the victim of the masked psycho shown above. The fact that you spend half of the movie unable to hear because of her perspective really messed me up, and it's just all around creepy. Watch the trailer here.

2. Would You Rather

Without giving away too much, a bunch of desperate people get invited to dinner by a very wealthy man and play the ultimate game of "Would You Rather" that is so sick and twisted that you can't stop watching. Plus, Brittany Snow, who doesn't love Brittany Snow? Watch the trailer here.

3. Devil

Five people get trapped in an elevator together; plot twist, one is the devil. Watch the trailer here.

4. VHS

This is a seriously screwed up compilation of small horror films, worked together with the large plot that a bunch of guys go looking for a rare VHS tape and find all of these. I definitely don't recommend watching this is you're not seriously into horror and gore, and if you get through this, check out VHS 2 and VHS Viral as well. Watch the trailer here.

5. The Woman in Black 2

You don't need to see The Woman in Black to watch this, and personally I found this to be much scarier than the first. Set in WWII times, a group of school kids get evacuated to the house inhabited by the woman in black and she's not a very hospitable host. Watch the trailer here.

6. Dead Silence

If you're not afraid of puppets or dolls, I don't trust you. The ghost of Mary Shaw and her huge collection of ventriloquism dolls are shit your pants terrifying, but you can't scream, or else she'll steal your tongue. Watch the trailer here.

7. Contracted

A very unique, yet grossly strange take on a zombie-esque movie. It's definitely cringe-worthy, but worth the watch if you can stomach the idea of zombie-ism spreading in STD form. Watch the trailer here.

8. American Horror Story

I know, this isn't a movie, but it's worthy of your time if you're not already obsessed with it. When you need a break from studying sit down and watch a few episodes...then a few more...oh, it's time for class? Worth it. Personally, I prefer Murder House and Coven, but watch what you think you'll like best. There's a ton of trailers, so here's where to find most of them.

9. The Addams Family

Take a break from the scares and relax, laugh a little even, with the eccentric and perfectly creepy Addams Family. A classic that's great for the Halloween season and will keep your vibes without keeping you up at night. Watch the trailer here.

10. Dark Skies

Movies with kids tend to give me the heebie jeebies, and this one did not fail me. A dysfunctional family gets targeted by some unknown, unkind force. It starts with dead birds and ends a lot worse. Watch the trailer here.

11. The Ward

It's hard to convince the people around you that you're being haunted when you're stuck in a psychiatric ward with a crew of people that are thought to be as messed up as you. Amber Heard is great, the lead of a fantastic cast of women (Girl Power!), and the movie itself is an awesome psychological thriller. Watch the trailer here.

12. American Mary

Medical school student Mary Mason dives into the weird world of extreme body modification in an attempt to pay off some of her piling debt. This movie is a gore-fest and creepy in its own right. It's very intriguing, but also kind of gross. There's a lot of adult content, so tread carefully. Watch the trailer here.

13. The Babadook

An already creepy little boy randomly gets an even creepier book about, you guessed it, The Babadook. This is definitely a sleep with your lights on after watching movie, with a nice side of serious mommy issues. Watch the trailer here.

14. 13 Cameras

Not so much scary as it is deeply disturbing, 13 Cameras is about a pervy landlord who rents out his house to a young couple, unfortunately the house is equipped with cameras all over the place and he watches their every move. Things escalate rather quickly, and if you're in the mood to be paranoid that you're being watched, this one's for you. Watch the trailer here.

15. The Exorcist

Sure it's an old movie, but it's a classic and in its own way is still super scary. A little girl becomes possessed by a very vulgar demon, and obviously it just goes downhill from there. Watch the trailer here.

16. Sleepy Hollow

Not to be confused with the popular new television series, I'm talking about the 1999 movie with young Johnny Depp (swoon) and Christina Ricci. There have been a lot of adaptations of the infamous headless horseman lore, but this is by far my favorite. Tim Burton just knows how to make a great, eerily amazing film. Watch the trailer here.

17. Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil

Another break from scaring yourself half to death, this is a campy flick that is full of misunderstanding. Tucker and Dale are just trying to live life in the woods but they keep getting mistaken for backwoods murderers. It's funny in a way, and yes, that is the Fruit of the Loom guy. Watch the trailer here.

18. The Taking of Deborah Logan

A group of students come to make a documentary about Deborah Logan, who they believe is suffering from Alzheimers, but it turns out to be something much more sinister. Watch the trailer here.

19. The Awakening

A boarding school with some supernatural guests calls on a woman who debunks hoaxes for a living, but even she isn't sure about this one. Watch the trailer here.

20. The Den

A woman witnesses a murder online while she's researching web cam habits, leading her and her loved ones to be the killers new pursuits. Watch the trailer here.