20 MUST-SEE Natural Phenomenona Around the World

The strangest and most breathtaking sights

33
atlasobscura.com

1. Crooked Forest, West Pomerania, Poland.

This grove of oddly-shaped pine trees was planted in 1930.

thiscollosal.com

2. Sea of Stars, Vaadhoo Island Maldives

This shimmering phenomenon is created by bioluminescent phytoplankton in the reef and occurs only in the late summer.

atlasobscura.com

3. Salar de Uyuni, Potosí , Bolivia

Salar de Uyuni in southwestern Bolivia is the world's largest salt flat. It was created when a prehistoric lake evaporated and left behind a 11,000-sq.-km desertlike landscape of bright-white salt and rock.

Boliviahop.com

4. The Door To Hell, Karakum, Turkmenistan

Also known as the Darzava Gas Crater, tourists from all over flock to see the crater of fire erupting in the middle of the desert. After geologists set it on fire to prevent the spread of methane gas, it has been burning nonstop since 1971.

Forbes.com

5. Tunnel of Love, Klevan, Ukraine

Known for being a place for couples to take walks, the Tunnel of Love is an industrial railway surrounded by green arches. It is 3-5 kilometers in length.

pando.com

6. Mendenhall Ice Caves, Juneau, Alaska

Inside the 12-mile-long glacier are piercing blue ice caves, where water runs over rocks and under frozen ceilings. Unfortunately, due to climate change, these ice caves have receded almost two miles since 1958, compared to them receding only 0.5 miles since 1500.

National Geographic

7. Blue lava of Kawah Ijen Volcano, Java Island, Indonesia

Blue lava is produced because of high levels of sulfur in the volcano.

National Geographic

8. Bamboo Forest, Kyoto, Japan

The sound created by the swaying bamboo stalks has gained national designation as one of the "100 Soundscapes of Japan."

Boredpanda.com

9. Glowworm Caves, Waitomo, New Zealand

These caves are populated by Arachnocampa luminosa, a glow worm species found only in New Zealand.

atlasobscura.com

10. Mount Roraima, Gran Sabana, Venezuela

Look familiar? Ever seen the movie Up? This floating island which inspired the setting in the Disney film, is 7671 feet above the forest floor in Gran Sabana, Venezuela.

Also see Angel Falls

boredpanda.com

11. Marble Caves, Patagonia, Chile

Located in General Carrera Lake, the biggest lake in Chile, this intricate system of caves was created by the erosion of calcium carbonate cliffs by water.

Insider.com

12. Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain, Andes, Peru

The seven colors are due to different mineral compositions that the mountain has.

culturetrip.com

13. Kjeragbolten, Lysebotn, Norway

This boulder wedged between the mountain of Kjerag has become a popular tourist attraction.

atlasobscura.com

14. Caño Cristales, Meta, Colombia

Known as the "river of five colors," the colors of Caño Cristales are created when aquatic plants in the river reproduce.

atlasobscura.com

15. Reynisfjara, Reykjavik, Iceland

The Reynisfjara beach is black due to volcanic ashes.

mybestplace.com

16. Giant's Causeway, Ireland

An ancient volcanic fissure eruption resulted in over 40,000 interlocked basalt columns.

landoftalk.com

17. Red Beach, Liaoning, China

The landscape is composed of the red plant by the name of Suaeda salsa.

boredpanda.com

18. White Sands National Monument, New Mexico, US

The white sand appeared after bodies of water evaporated and left behind a mineral called Gypsum. Gypsum is the same material used for chalk and plaster.

KTLA.com

19. Morning Glory Cloud, Cape York, Australia

Seabreezes on Cape York collide from two directions, west and east, forming a cloud. That cloud then descends as night falls. The air cools and slides beneath a layer of warm air, resulting in a rolling cylinder. These pipeline-shaped clouds move across the sky at speeds of up to 25 miles per hour.

twistedsifter.com

20. Die Rakotzbrück, Gablenz, Germany

The reflection of this 19th century bridge creates a perfect circle.

atlasobscura.com