20 Lessons I Learned From My Mama Just In Time
Health Wellness

Thank you for being my first teacher.

370
Julia Metivier

When parents stop trying to teach us lessons, and just let us watch them, we learn the most.

Thank you mama for being such a great person to watch, and teaching me these:

1. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

We can all get so wrapped up in our own ideas that we forget there is another side. Believe that there is good in everyone, until you are given a reason to think otherwise.

2. Always take your makeup off before bed.

Not only is it good for your skin, it washes away today. Do not bring today into tomorrow; your problems or your makeup.

3. Do it now, "later" is an excuse.

Get it done now, later turns into later, and that later becomes later. Get off your booty.

4. Just because you're a girl does not mean you can't be on their level, and "because I'm a girl" is not an excuse, it's a superpower.

I watched my mom work her butt off at different jobs and in different positions, but never did she conform to the glass ceiling. GO SHATTER THAT THING, GIRL! I promise you can!

5. Be so honest, it hurts

Whether someones asks for your thoughts, or your feelings are building up inside of you - speaking your truth will always be the cure.

6. Take pictures of everything.

You will never have this moment again, cherish it, and remember it.

7. Be obsessively grateful for everyone around you.

Whether it is your parents, your best friend, or your significant other - show them how incredibly thankful you are for them.

8. You're never too old to start something new.

Did my mom start running a year ago? Hells yeah. Is she running a marathon in 4.5 months? Duh! Age becomes an excuse if you let it!

9. Stand up for what you believe in.

Your thoughts, opinions and feelings matter. If they don't - get out of there, immediately.

10. Dance like no one is watching.

Does this need an explanation? Go get jiggy with it!

11. Thank you notes are mandatory.

Christmas, birthday, or just because, show your appreciation. And who doesn't like getting mail?

12. Take interest in others lives and passions.

Seeing someone light up when they talk about their passions and dreams is incredible. Get a front row seat to that show - always.

13. Never pass up a cute pair of shoes.

Heels, flats, sneakers, boots! Oh my!

14. Everyone needs a break.

Take a day off, do what makes you happy. Your body and mind will thank you.

15. Trust your gut.

It is never wrong.

16. Compliment someone every chance you get, but always mean it.

"Cute shoes", "love the new hair", "your positivity is incredible". They all feel pretty good to hear, but even better to say!

17. Forgive and move on.

Life is way too short to hold a grudge.

18. A new notebook and new pens can change your life.

Get the big pack of pens, you deserve them!

19. Volunteering is good for the soul.

Choose a charity or organization you believe in, you will meet incredible people and help people in the process - that is what we call a win win!

20. Always adopt the cat.

Always.