20 Barcelona Travel Hacks

20 Barcelona Travel Hacks

Travel with ease through the beautiful city of Barcelona!

221
20 Barcelona Travel Hacks
Kate Stephani

Last month, I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Barcelona, Spain. It was such an incredible experience and Barcelona is truly one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. There are some things I wish a knew, along with some things I learned along the way that I wanted to share with you. With these tips and tricks, your trip will--without a doubt--be one to remember.

1. Bring ping-pong balls and paddles

Pretty much every single public park in Barcelona has ping pong tables. It’s a great way to meet other people and get outside. If you don't have room in your luggage, you can always buy balls and paddles while you're there.

2. Try the Fanta Naranja (orange Fanta)

At first glance, it may look just like the Fanta we have at home, but it most certainly is not. Do yourself a favor and try it. You will probably get hooked like I did.

3. Walk or take the metro everywhere and have access to a metro map

There are metro stations all over Barcelona and odds are there is a stop close to where you want to go. It’s very inexpensive to ride the metro, plus way better for the environment than taking a taxi everywhere. Bonus tip: If you're traveling in a group, each person doesn't necessarily need a metro card. You can use one card three times back-to-back. In other words, three people can get on to the metro with one card. Also, the Metro runs all night on Saturdays, so if you're out late have no fear--you won't be stranded.

4. Bring a reusable water bottle

Unlike most places in the United States, every restaurant in Barcelona charges for water. There are (very fancy looking) public drinking fountains everywhere, especially in the Gothic, so a reusable water bottle will be very handy.

5. On that note, go pee before you leave the house

Most restaurants won’t let you use the bathroom unless you are a customer and there is a “bathroom tax” when you eat out. Good luck trying to find a bathroom when you’re roaming around.

6. Try patatas bravas literally anywhere

They’re like French fries but better. The sauce is amazing too.

7. Go inside La Sagrada Familia

Even if though it's "touristy" it's so worth it. The building is still under construction--and will be for a while--but it is still so beautiful. Whether you are religious or not, anyone can appreciate the intricate artwork and attention to detail in the church.

8. Put down your phone

Remember to be in the moment. Whenever I was in an area heavily populated by tourists, everyone was on their phone snapping photographs of everything they saw. Of course it’s okay to take pictures, but remember to put your phone down and be in the moment as well. Don’t get too wrapped in trying to find the perfect “Insta-worthy” shot--focus more on the experience and do things that will become stories to tell later.

9. Also, for the love of all things holy please do not use a selfie stick. Please

10. Barcelona is technically Catalunya, an autonomous community of Spain

which means they speak Catalan as their native language. This may be why you don't understand some signs even if you speak Spanish. Catalan is a completely different language.

11. Likewise, most people know a fair bit of English

Try to use as much Spanish as possible if you can, and speak slowly when speaking in English so it's easier for the other person to hear individual words. They will usually pay you the same respect and speak slowly in Spanish too, so that you can understand them more easily.

12. Most restaurants have a 10-15% increase on food prices when you eat outside, but it's so worth it

Don't spend your meals cooped up inside. The streets of Barcelona are so lively and entertaining and you definitely don’t want to miss out on that. Some of my fondest memories from Barcelona took place outside during meals.

13. Try the cafe con leche (coffee with milk) literally anywhere

So good.

14. The drinking age is 16, but people don't drink to get drunk

Don't be typical American tourists and get obnoxiously drunk, no one appreciates it. Seriously.

15. Remember that Europe has different electrical outlets so get a converter

You can find them on Amazon for pretty cheap, or just pick one up at the airport.

16. You don't always need to know exactly where you're going

Just wander the streets; you never know what you'll stumble upon. You may see a massive protest or a beautiful old hospital--you never know.

17. Wear. Comfortable. Shoes

I took on average 20-30 thousand steps per day just roaming the different streets and I ended up buying a pair of Spanish “Birkenstocks” (check out Autenti shoes) because the shoes I packed weren't cutting it. Best purchase I've ever made. (Aside from my plane ticket to Spain)

18. Download Google Translate

You can use the camera feature to translate signs, menus, and other text. Catalan is even on the app! The translations can be kind of rough sometimes, but you'll at least get the idea. Also, you can download entire languages to your device so you can translate offline and not drain all of your cellular data throughout your trip.

19. Certain museums have free admission days

If there is a specific museum you have in mind, check online to see if they will have free admission while you're there. Try to get tickets ahead of time, though, because the lines can get ridiculous on those days.

20. If you start to miss home, have no fear!

There are McDonald's, Burger Kings, KFCs and Starbucks everywhere. Burger King is 100 times better in Barcelona, by the way. Also, the radio is full of American music, so you never feel too far from home.

If you ever have the chance to travel to Barcelona, I hope you take it. No matter how much time you spend there, there is always something new to see, do and explore. The culture is so rich and so much fun to be a part of. I hope that these tips help and make your trip even more memorable!