1917 Totally Deserved The Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Drama (SPOILERS)

If you haven't seen it, you totally should

1917, the one-shot take of two British soldiers delivering a message across a war-torn French countryside, had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

What made this movie so great was the suspense. The shot stayed on the two main characters and only on the two main characters. You basically had no idea what was going on around them until something happened, and ANYTHING could happen. To me, this was a great showcase of how World War 1 played out. At any moment notice you could be bombed, shot, or lost.

This was really portrayed when we saw one of our main characters die. It was very much unexpected and the way his death was played out was, I thought, amazing. The characters' actual realization of dying and having to cope with that as the scene progressed was beautifully executed.

What really got to me was the accuracy of the ages of the British soldiers. The majority of soldiers in World War 1 we aged 18-24, and as I just turned 20. It really made me think about what it would have been like if I had been drafted and sent to fight and die in the senseless violence that these young men faced. Particularly, you are reminded at points of the film that the main characters are young men, barely adults. They aren't these hardened soldiers that you would see in other big war movies, and they contrast to some of the other war-torn soldiers that you would see during the movie. They are essentially just boys who want to go home.

Overall, 1917 is just a very powerful movie, and if you watch it or have seen it I'm sure you understand. It was very intense, emotionally, which is why I don't have any doubt that it deserves to win the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Drama. It's a movie that definitely deserves the praise it gets.