19 Things For 19 Years

I finished my 19th trip around the sun this week. Here are some things I've learned through life so far.

1. Be early everywhere you go

My biggest pet peeve is when people are late. It's just rude. So to be on the safe side, just get there early.

2. Cheesecake is always better in New York City

I don't know what it is but cheesecake always taste better when you are eating it in Times Square

3. Finding friends does not mean finding people just like you

Sure, having pals that are similar to you is pretty cool. But expand your horizons . You will learn so much about other people and in return you will learn so much about yourself.

4. Travel everywhere

When you can, explore the world. Even if it means just leaving the comfort of your own city every once in a while. It will make you a much more well rounded person.

5. Sing in the shower

Just don't sing super loud at 11 pm in your residence hall bathroom that you share with other people. It's uncomfy for the people who live next door.

6. Live like you give a damn 

Live your life to the absolute fullest. It's okay to have sad days. It's okay to take a day to lay in bed for hours and hours. But just remember that life can be taken from you at any moment .

7. Rebel

Protest. Break the rules. Things were meant to be protested and rules were meant to be broken.

8. Read a lot of books 

Expand your imagination and fill your mind with the thoughts and words of others. Your life can be improved by a simple book.

9. Wear sunscreen

Skin cancer is real. Help prevent it by wearing sunscreen .

10. Learn to take criticism 

Learning from others is really important. People aren't trying to be mean . They are just trying to help you out. So let them.

11. Everyone needs a magnum opus

Everyone deserves to be in the spotlight at least once. Even if it is for just one night.

12. Karma is real. And she is a mega bitch

Just follow the golden rule and you will be A okay.

13. Dance like nobody is watching

Impromptu dance parties are a must in life

14. Love your family

Sometimes they are all you've got

15. It's okay to cry 

Crying is human. And you are human.

16. Question everything

Please do not go through your life believing everything you hear. It's okay to question someone. Just don't be rude about it.

17. Write

This one could go without saying.... But obviously I feel like writing is important. It's so good to write. It lets you get out feelings that you would otherwise just bottle up.

18. Silence is okay

Sometimes you can't think of the right thing to say. It's okay to not say anything during these times

19. Turning 19 doesn't mean you have everything figured out

This is a big year for me. And for many other 19 year olds across the globe. Many of us are starting to become independent, go to college and so on. This is exciting . And scary. So just take it slow. You have your whole life to figure all this stuff out. Enjoy the ride.

I've learned a lot in my short 19 years of life, and I am so excited to see what the future holds for me. Goodbye 18. You were pretty rad. 19. I am so ready for you.