18 Things You Know To Be True If You Grew Up In A Jewish Family
popular

It's an experience to say the least.

20366
History

Growing up in a Jewish family is unlike any other experience. As a matter of fact, if you are not Jewish, I'm really hoping that you are going to be able to relate to this article in some sort of way.

In a Jewish home, your business is everyone else's business too. The saying 'what's yours is mine' is taken quite literally.

I am making it sound a lot worse than it is. Truth be told, growing up in a Jewish family was the best. I would not have had it any other way.

Without further ado, here are 18 things you know to be true if you grew up in a Jewish family.

1. Everyone has an opinion on everything

No two family members think alike on any given situation. It is normal for people to constantly be arguing in order to prove their opinion right.

2. Never leave the house without a jacket

Even if it is summertime, you would not be caught dead without a jacket outside of the house. The phrase 'you might get cold' is burned into your mind for good.

3. If you are sick, no problem!

You have at least three family members that are doctors so one of them is bound to know what you have right away. Save the trip to the pediatrician and go see your aunt instead! Unless, of course, your aunt is your pediatrician. In that case, go see your pediatrician.

4. Nobody makes soup like your grandma

My grandma makes the best matzo ball soup known to mankind. I will fight anyone who would like to question this. Her soup is to die for.

5. Always keep your mom updated on your whereabouts

She wants to know where you are at exactly what time. Oh, and if you dare miss her call, you know you're dead. Might as well turn around and go home immediately.

6. You will never not be full

Someone in the family will always be offering you food whether you are hungry or not. Eating in a Jewish family is kind of like going to a college football game. You have your tailgate, or the pre-meal snack, and then you have the game, the meal and post-game celebration, or the dessert.

7. Your grandma will always ask you if you have found a boyfriend or girlfriend

The first follow up question will always be, "Are they Jewish?"

8. There is never a quiet moment

Everyone is loud and everyone wants to be the one that is heard. Good luck with that.

9. Hearing Yiddish around the house is not uncommon

You're basically a pro at basic Yiddish after hearing words like "schvitz" and "schlep" thrown around.

10. Word spreads like wildfire

If you tell your mom one thing, your grandma will know in the next hour and before you know it, everyone in the whole extended family knows. It is not because they want to gossip, it is more that your family wants to show you off and what you have accomplished. Your family is filled with a bunch of "yentas."

11. You can't win an argument against your mom

Your mom is always right even if she is actually wrong. Don't even try to argue with me on this one.

12. Embarrassed is not something you feel anymore

Going in public with your family used to be embarrassing but honestly you've gotten used to it. There is nothing your dad can do to you anymore that will get you there.

13. Everyone is brutally honest

Don't ask their opinion if you don't want to hear the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

14. Guilt-tripping is real

And your family is not afraid to guilt-trip you! Especially when they want you to do something for them, like clean the kitchen.

15. Selective hearing is also real

Nobody is better at this than your dad.

16. Tradition is so important

It helps us keep our balance and we don't question our age-old traditions!

17. If you're a guest, you always bring a gift

The only way to show up as a guest is with a gift for the host.

18. You will never feel more loved than when you are with you family

The term 'unconditional love' is brought to life when you are with your family. You wouldn't trade any of them for the world. Even if some of them are crazy.