18 New Year's Resolutions Ideas for 2018 (Part 2)

No more fake friends and situationships this year; Let's make 2018 the year of our best relationships!

304
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/10/636511537130654602-1846210668_new-years-resolutions-2018.jpg

And we are back with part 2!

(Here's a link to part 1: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/18-new-years-reso... )

2018 should definitely be a year when we all work towards becoming our best selves, but we must also remember that no man is an island. With that being said, we should also strive to maintain the most positive, encouraging, and loving relationships with family and friends. So here are 9 more new years resolutions that are all about our relationships.

1. Listen More, Comment Less

People have the tendency to listen to others with the intention to comment and respond. They will get stuck on the one point they have a comeback for and almost completely disregard the rest of what was said. For the next year, let's all try to be better listeners. This means that we should listen without the expectation to respond unless the time calls for it. This means we should give the speaker our attention, make eye contact, and try not to fidget often. Ask the speaker questions to make sure you understand the whole story. Think about the best way to respond before opening your mouth and try to relate to the speaker without diminishing their narrative.

2. Reach Out More

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people complain about their friends not texting or calling them as much as they would like. I would always reply back to them asking, "Have you tried texting/calling them?" Their answer would always be, "I don't want to text/call first." Often times, the other person is thinking the exact same thing. Let this year be the year where you are the one to reach out first and actively try to maintain communication with the people you love and appreciate. But do not spread yourself thin or put yourself out there for someone who doesn't deserve it. If you have reached out to someone and they have constantly pushed you aside or put you down then...

3. Cut Off Toxic Relationships

2018 is going to be the year of you! This means that if there are any people in your life who put you down, make you feel insecure, or are just bad for your mental/emotional health, please CUT THEM OFF. This includes family members! Here's a link to an article I wrote, all about letting go of toxic family. If there is anyone who constantly insults you or abuses you in any way, shape, or form, it is your responsibility to yourself to leave the situation. Put yourself first because you are worth it. You deserve to be loved and to be happy.

4. Catch Up With Old Friends

Throughout our lives, there are times when people are left behind and relationships are forgotten. We don't keep in touch with our childhood, high school, or college friends but reminisce fondly on the times you might have spent together in the past. This upcoming year, try to reach out to those friends from the past and reconnect. Give them a call, send a text, or reach out on Facebook and tell them you still think about and care about them. Who knows? This might be the spark that rekindles that relationship.

5. Compliment People More

Words definitely have power and a compliment can be all it takes to turn someone's day around. As we try to cultivate a more positive mindset for the upcoming year, try also to relate to others in a more positive way. If you like someone's shirt, shoes, or makeup, say so, just don't be creepy about it.

6. Meet New People

This year should be a year of adventure and exploration. One of the greatest adventures one can have would be getting to truly know another human being. So this year, try to cultivate a relationship with someone you meet in class, at work, or at a museum. I don't mean to necessarily meet new people in a romantic way. You could possibly meet your best friend or future bridesmaid. See where it takes you. You might end up meeting someone amazing!

7. Turn Negatives into Positives

No one likes to be around a negative person. Having a negative mindset can block us from showing gratitude or finding solutions to our problems. When you are alone and notice yourself having ANTs (automatic negative thoughts), end them by giving yourself genuine compliments. These compliments should be based on BOTH your personality and physical appearance, as a lot of our negative thoughts stem from false ideas about our inadequacy in these areas. Make a list of all the things you appreciate about yourself and repeat it multiple times until you feel better. Try to do this with your friends and family as well.

8. Be Your Bestie's Instagram Photographer

This resolution might be more specific to those who are photographers or photography enthusiasts. Plan a day with your best friend or sibling, go to different locations, and take as many pictures as you can. This can be a great bonding experience and is an amazing way to make your loved one feel special, appreciated, and beautiful. Hopefully, they can return the favor and you can be the model during the next Instagram picture date.

9. Volunteer in Your Community

There are so many benefits to volunteering in your local community. Not only do you earn a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from it, but you serve your community and help change the life of another individual. Volunteering allows us to put our life situations into perspective and be truly grateful. Try to look up local soup kitchens, community centers, shelters, blood drives, or causes/organizations you care about and ask them about possible volunteer opportunities.

With these 18 resolutions, we can flourish this year. The next 12 months are a blank slate, an opportunity to change whatever situation you're in and an opportunity to change yourself as well as the way you relate to others. How are you going to make this year count?