17 Things I'm Thankful For In 2017

17 Things I'm Thankful For In 2017

Life is a gift, don't take it for granted!

806
17 Things I'm Thankful For In 2017

Every year we get a chance to sit and reflect on all the positive things in life. Sometimes it is so easy to focus on the negative, pinpointing the problems in our lives is much easier than noticing all the wonderful things we have. This time can be especially stressful for students as the semester winds down and finals are starting to pop up in conversation and for those with jobs as the end of the year draws closer, but as Thanksgiving draws closer my stress fades and I cannot help but realize what a truly blessed life I have. There are so many things that can easily be missed and may be small to others but are what makes me appreciate the life I have.

1. Freshly baked cookies

The smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies is the meaning of happiness. The smell makes my mouth water instantly and even though I might have had a long day of school and homework, I am always grateful for the short moment of serenity when I eat a freshly baked cookie and savor every taste and every memory that comes with freshly baked cookies.

2. My roommate

I am unbelievably lucky to have scored the best roommate on campus. I can joke, be an utter dork and laugh with her all day. She doesn't judge my bed head in the mornings and she doesn't even get annoyed by my incessant humming! What more could you ask for?

3. The crunching of fallen leaves

On chilly, fall mornings while walking to class there is something soothing about hearing the crunching of the fallen leaves under my feet. I am thankful that even on bad days I can still get some peace and satisfaction from the crisp crunch of the leaves.

4. Bookstores

When I walk into a bookstore, my heart skips a beat. The smell of new books is consuming and brings me peace like nothing else. When I wonder the aisles I am calmed by a great many stories just waiting to be plucked from the shelf. I could spend hours and my entire bank account in a bookstore.

5. 2 a.m. conversations

You never really know anyone until you have been up all night with someone and you are past all the trivial conversation topics and have no choice but to ask legitimate questions. I am grateful for those 2 a.m. questions that create best friends rather than just good friends.

6. New York City

New York City is a spectacular city and I am one of the lucky individuals who get to study here. The city is filled life and adventure that you can't get anywhere and I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to live here.

7. Pizza

New York pizza is something else. The amount of topping you can get is unreal, there are some that I have never even heard of-- though I refuse to get pineapple, SORRY!

8. Colorado water

After living in Colorado you can really never drink any other water. It is like I have an unquenchable thirst for Colorado water so I am very thankful I will be able to go home soon and chug a glass.

9. Fuzzy socks

I have a proud collection of fuzzy socks and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are the most underrated comfort item for lounging. Sure any socks will keep your feet warm but only fuzzy socks can get you into a state of complete serenity.

10. The subway

This is the place to go for some prime people watching. You can see people in all their states. Angry, anxious, jubilant, unresponsive to any sort of stimulant, and on the verge of a deep slumber. My favorite is watching people during rush hour, staring off in a random direction avoiding awkward eye contact with the stranger who is uncomfortably close. And it is only $3!

11. Airplanes

Every time I fly I try to sit by the window to see the world get smaller and smaller. I love that feeling. It is almost like all my problems are getting smaller with the traveling cars and the houses until you can't see them anymore and all that remains is white puffs of clouds and the sun. For a few blissful hours, I can pretend that I have no responsibilities and I can just sit and read without any pressure.

12. Social Media

Though social media can be harmful, I would not know anything about anyone without it. I am truly thankful for Snapchat, especially, for allowing me to keep in contact with friends and my family who are thousands of miles away.

13. Rain

Foggy, dreary days are the perfect excuse to cozy up in my room with a big sweater, a cup of tea, and write! There is something about rain that puts me into the working mode. Rainy days are my most productive so I am very thankful for them.

14. 80s music

Nothing can get an entire crowd cheering and singing like an eighties song can. Once Whitney starts "I wanna dance with somebody", all inhibitions are gone. I love watching people sing and dance their hearts out with friends and not care what they look like, and for that, I am grateful for 80s tunes.

15. Alarms

I would be nowhere in life if it wasn't for my alarm. Though most of the time I, in the moment, I want to destroy it, I would sleep the day away without it and miss every opportunity and experience... not to mention every class.

16. Tea and Coffee

I am thankful for tea and coffee for giving me an excuse to procrastinate my work as I make each cup, for keeping my hands warm when the rest of my body is freezing, for giving me energy and motivation to do the procrastinated assignments, and for keeping me awake long into the night to study.

17. Family

I cannot go through Thanksgiving without thanking my family because honestly, I would probably be a total bum right now if it wasn't for them. They have given me almost everything I have already mentioned, so how can I not be thankful for them.

I am always surprised by how many amazing things I take for granted every day. Things as simple as having a pillow or shoes. It is a shame that we try to acknowledge these things only once a year. This list is ever growing, so, even if life is weighing you down, there is always something to be thankful for.