17 Quotes For 2017

17 Quotes For 2017

Enjoy what is beautiful. Love with all your heart and soul.

27
17 Quotes For 2017
Annie Spratt

The New Year is a time of new beginnings and second chances. If you’re like me, you don’t subscribe to that old notion that resolutions are mandatory, and instead you believe in simply settings goals for yourself for the coming year ahead. In the past I have stuck to the majority of my goals which I have made. This year, I’ve made a simple one, but one that I fear will be the hardest of all to achieve. I have decided that in 2017 I will live each day with a positive outlook, and not dwell on the all of the negatives in life. So, in the spirit of that, I have compiled a list of inspirational quotes which I plan to keep with me every moment just in case I feel my attitude faltering. My gift to you this New Year’s is that list in the hopes that you too will find it helpful and inspiring.

1. “You are where you need to be. Just take a deep breath.” -Lana Parrilla-

This is number one on purpose (and no, it’s not just because I’m a huge fan of hers). It’s top on my list because it reminds me that everything I have done up until this point in my life has made me who I am. There are reasons for why things haven’t always gone my way. This quote reminds me to just stop and say to myself that it will happen when it’s meant to happen and not before.

2. “If you get a chance – take it. If it will change your life – let it.”

-“Life as a House”-

The movie this quote came from was fleeting in my memory, but this line has stayed with me ever since I first watched the film. I like this one because it reminds me to never sit on an opportunity and to always embrace the unknown.

3. “Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.” -Ben Franklin-

Put in simple terms this quote reminds us not to gossip and to never engage in any conversation which can hurt others or the way others see us.

4. “When you learn-teach. When you get-give.” -Maya Angelou-

Never let anyone leave you without passing on some bit of experience or knowledge, and never ever forget to give more than you receive. This is the secret to anything in life.

5. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help people. And if you can’t help them at least don’t hurt them.” -The Dalai Lama-

I am saving this one to remind myself to always do something for someone else and to never hurt anyone if I can avoid it.

6. “The heart has eyes which the brain knows nothing of.” -Charles Perkhurst-

This one is really simple. Follow your heart; it’s right more often than it's wrong.

7. “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.” -Dale Carnegie-

I chose this one because it is what I keep trying to convince my children of every minute of every day, and we would all do well to remember it. Always, always, always show more interest in others than you expect them to show for you. In the end, you will always come out the victor.

8. “Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday.”

-Winnie the Pooh-

Oh goodness, do I ever need to remember this! Slow down! That’s my best advice to everyone. Stop trying to be first, and just enjoy being present at all.

9. “Put good thoughts out into the world.”

-Mick Fleetwood-

Again, this one is simple. If you cannot be part of the solution, at least try not to be part of the problem.

10. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: It goes on.” -Robert Frost-

Nothing is broken forever. Though things may seem bleak they will always get better. Just remember it can’t always be your day, but there are still six more left in the week.

11. “Of all the words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these…it might have been.” -John Greenleaf Whittier-

This is one of my biggest flaws. Leaving things unsaid and undone. I saved this one because it helps me remember that it is better to make amends than to live with regrets.

12. “If you can’t return a favor, pass it on.”

-Louise Brown-

I live by this quote. It’s a major part of my life, so I include it in my list every year. I have always lived by the idea that anytime I can, I need to give to someone when someone gives to me. In other words, pay it forward. You may not always personally know who helped you out, but you can always find someone who needs help.

13. “There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees.”

-Michel de Montaigne-

We could all stand to remember this one on a daily basis. Do not go through life only looking for and conversing with people who share all of your beliefs. You get more of an education through a spirited debate than you do through total agreement.

14. “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.” -Mahatma Ghandi-

Again, lessons for a lifetime. Revenge is a vicious cycle and one in which this world is currently too caught up in. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

15. “To know the road ahead, ask those coming back.” -Chinese Proverb-

Wisdom for the ages. Do not discount the experience of others. More often than not they know what they’re talking about. Trust them.

16. “We cannot all do great things, but we can all do small things with great love.” -Mother Teresa-

I put this on the list because one of my goals for this year is to volunteer more. I admit though, that sometimes I can get disillusioned because I feel as though the little I do is not enough. This quote reminds me that even the smallest of gestures makes a big difference.

17. And last but not least, the one I want everyone to remember most of all. It explains itself, so here you go:

“Live each day to the fullest. Get the most from each hour, each day, and each age of your life. Then you can look forward with confidence and back without regrets. Be yourself-but be your best self. Dare to be different and to follow your own star and don’t be afraid to be happy. Enjoy what is beautiful. Love with all your heart and soul. Believe that those you love, love you. Forget what you have done for your friends and remember what they have done for you. Disregard what the world owes you and concentrate on what you owe the world. When you are faced with a decision, make the decision as wisely as possible-then forget it. The moment of absolute certainty never arrives. Blessed is the generation in which the old listen to the young and double-blessed is the generation in which the young listen to the old.” -Excerpt from the Talmud-