15 Tips For Every Southerner Attempting to Survive A Northern Winter

Good luck to us all as we embark on these single digit temperatures!

672
Unsplash

Congratulations! You've moved up north! If you're anything like me you're definitely not prepared for the treacherous winter months ahead of us! Here are a few tips I asked around to help me survive these ridiculously cold temperatures.

1. Invest in an actual good jacket, not just a cute one

Your favorite hoodie can only keep you so warm when there is a -10-degree wind chill outside. And let's face it, no matter how many hoodies you pile on top of one another, it will never be quite enough.

2. Get a jacket with a hood

On the topic of jackets, a jacket with a hood will be your saving grace with 20 mph winds outside.

3. Invest in a good pair of snow boots

You don't have to get too crazy with these and go out and spend $300+ on a knee-high pair of snow boots, but maybe a nice pair of ankle height snow boots for Christmas wouldn't be a bad thing to ask for.

4. Duck boots are a nice alternative

If you don't feel like getting crazy with the snow boots this winter, a pair of duck boots and super thick socks are a good alternative too.

5. Heated blankets are amazing

Times are tough and sometimes turning on that heater can break the budget, so maybe getting a nice heated blanket wouldn't be that bad of a idea.

6. Hand warmers

Hot hand packs are amazing and will save you on your walks around town. Just slip one in your pocket or in your gloves.

7. Gloves that allow you to use your phone

Speaking of gloves, get a pair of gloves that allow you to touch the screen on your phone while you're out browsing the streets.

8. Earband or beanies

Beanies or hats are a nice solution to keep your head nice and toasty for freezing temperatures. However, if you're not a hat person like me, earbands are a nice alternative.

9. Festive hot drinks are your best friends

Warm drinks warm the soul. It's a fact.

10. Chapstick and lotion are a must

The level of dry air up in the north is like nothing you've ever felt. Hydration is key. You're welcome.

11. Thermal under clothing is a necessity

If you do a lot of walking from place to place, maybe think about getting some thermal underwear to wear under your clothes to help keep you warm.

12. Get an ice scraper for your windshield

If you have a car and plan on using it during the winter, an ice scraper is a good thing to have handy in your backseat.

13. It is possible to drive in the snow

I know it seems like total chaos, but you can still drive in the snow if you need to. Just be a little more cautious and keep an eye out for ice. Up north they actually plan ahead and put down salt and other needed precautionary measures when expecting severe weather.

14. Heated blankets for your car are a good idea

Heated blankets in a car are a nice investment on those mornings when you're running a little short on time and it's freezing in the car.

15. Fuzzy socks are amazing

I think northerners and southerners can all agree that fuzzy socks are nice no matter your location on the map.

I truly don't believe anything can make these temperatures better. However, I would rather be snuggled up and bitter, than freezing and wishing of 75 degrees. Good luck to us all as we embark on these single digit temperatures! May the strong survive!