15 Struggles With Moving Out For College

Because let's face it, you're going to have to come to terms with leaving sooner or later.

313
Julia Harris

Understandably, the summer before the first year of college can be extremely stressful and challenging, and coming to terms with the fact you'll be on your own in a few short months is both terrifying and exciting. As my summer is coming to a close in a few short weeks, I'm going through the process of seriously preparing to leave for college. So, below I've compiled a list of some basic and not-so-basic struggles we face when leaving.

1. Leaving your family.

OK, this one's pretty basic. But for real, this has to be the hardest part of leaving. Not sure how we're going to get through move-in day...

2. Leaving your pets.

Let's face it, your pets are your family, but they can't get in a car and drive to come see you whenever they want! Thank goodness for pictures and FaceTime!

3. Leaving your friends.

Especially when you think about not seeing some of them again.

4. Leaving the town where you grew up.

It's been your home for the past 18-19 years. As much as you said you couldn't wait to leave it one day, you can't imagine life not living there.

5. Feeling quite "Hamlet-esque" deciding "to bring, or not to bring."

Because obviously you can't fit everything from your room at home in a dorm room. Do you really need that many stuffed animals?

6. Deciding how to pack everything.

Boxes or suitcases? Or both? How on earth will it fit in the car?

7. Making a list and checking it twice.

Thanks, Santa, for giving us the idea! Wouldn't want to get to college and realize you left half the stuff you need at home.

8. Starring on your personal episode of "What Not to Wear."

Because your college closet is significantly smaller than the one you're used to having...

9. Coming to terms with the fact you won't be able to curl up in your Queen-sized bed.

Ah, throwback to the twin-sized bed you had as a kid, except with more metal... and closer to the ground.

10. Being distracted by old things you find in your room while packing.

"Oh, look! My old camp photo album! I wonder how different everyone looks now?"

11. Procrastinating.

Need I say more?

12. Leaving your job.

Just when you've grown to love it and you've met some awesome co-workers.

13. Spending hours cleaning/packing.

An exhausting, endless cycle...

14. Coordinating with your roommate over what to bring.

Because why have two microwaves and no coffee pot?

15. Jumping into the unknown.

The scariest part of leaving for college is not expecting what's to come. But just remember it'll be fun, exciting, and a great adventure!

Get excited because it's coming soon!