15 Things To Do When You're Snowed In

15 Things To Do When You're Snowed In

When the rest of the world has shut down in the Snowpocalypse, you'll be prepared with endless hours of entertainment.

37
15 Things To Do When You're Snowed In
The Grafton News

Snow days. Once the first reports of winter storms roll in, everyone wants to know when we get ours. The night before the big storm, we all gather round the weather channel and pray for a good payoff. One day off class won't hurt, we tell ourselves. Every day after the first is guaranteed to be a slushy, mushy, miserably cold slog, but waking up that first morning to find the world covered in a thick blanket of white is a magical experience.

Of course, once the magic fades, we often realize just how much time is in the day, and without classes, work, and social lives to fill it, why, there's nothing left to do! Here's fifteen ideas to help pass the time a little quicker on those quiet snowy days.

1. Chores/Housekeeping

Yes, we're starting with the boring one first. But look at it this way: once you've folded that basket of clean laundry and scrubbed that mountain of dirty dishes, you've made way for the fun stuff. You're saving the best for last. Also, cleaning can be very relaxing, as order is restored over the chaos of a busy life.

2. Homework

Remember how I said we could get to the fun stuff after chores? Technically, that's still true. There's just one more thing to do: homework. Just because class is cancelled doesn't mean those online quizzes aren't due. If you don't have any homework, this is a great chance to catch up on bookkeeping, bills, paperwork, and any other menial tasks you have left.

3. Read a Book

Now we're getting to the fun stuff. For a lot of people, rainy and snowy days are the perfect chance to cuddle up with a blanket, a mug of hot cocoa, and a good book. Whether you like Pride and Prejudice,Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies, or A Song of Ice and Fire, it's amazing what progress a few hours of quiet, distraction-free reading can make.

4. Watch Netflix

Yes, it was only a matter of time before we got to this one. I had to put a few items ahead to pretend we weren't all going to skip right to it, okay? Just be sure you get all your responsibilities taken care of before binging the new season of Orange is the New Black. You're adults now, remember? Adults with a nigh-infinite amount of television at your fingertips. Work fast, so that you have more time to spend on the couch!

5. Bake Something

Tired of flopping back and forth, trying to find a comfortable position from which to watch the second season of Marvel's Daredevil? Get up, stretch your legs, and bake yourself... a snack. Bake yourself a snack. Granted, this one takes some forethought, since you'll likely have to buy at least some of the ingredients before the snow hits, but while everyone is going for the milk and bread, you can go for the eggs and brownie mix. Win-win for everyone!

6. Snuggle with the Pets

On snow days, cats and dogs are like fuzzy, walking space heaters. If you've got cold-blooded pets like snakes or geckos, then chances are they wouldn't mind using you as a pink walking space heater. Some pets can be notoriously hard to cuddle, but just remember, in the end, determination and a good grip will win out! If you don't have a pet, consider using a teddy bear, fluffy pillow, or tolerant roommate.

7. Play in the Snow

Not all snow days are created equal. The best ones come with a foot and a half of snow on the ground when you wake up in the morning, just waiting to be tossed and stacked and rolled into balls of various shapes and sizes. Let out your inner kid and go have fun! Just be sure to listen to your inner mom and bundle up.

8. Shovel/Snowblow

The one problem with snow is that it exists. It doesn't just magically go away when you're done playing with it. Once you've frolicked and played the Eskimo way for a little bit, warm up with a little productive exercise; a snowblower will the job done faster, but a shovel will make you warmer. And yes, I know this is a responsibility thing, but you'll thank yourself for it later, and doing other things first leaves time for the snow to finish falling and the plows to come through, so that your hard work doesn't get buried. OPPD will rue the day it buried me up to my ribs in freshly-scooped snow.

9. Take a Hot Bath

Once you've come inside, hung up your coat, and kicked off your boots, why stop there? Draw yourself a nice hot bath and relax, letting the water restore a more natural body temperature. Just don't stay in too long; prolonged exposure can wreak all sorts of problems on your body.

10. Write a Short Story

Maybe the book you read inspired you to start your own novel. Maybe you could write that one scene in that one show so much better. Maybe your harrowing experiences outside have led you to believe that the apocalypse will come soft and cold on the land. Whatever your inspiration, now is the perfect chance to break out the typewriters and put your thoughts on paper.

11. Exercise

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Not everyone likes exercise, I get it. But sometimes the uninterrupted time is the perfect opportunity to get a few reps in. You don't even have to leave the comfort of your own home. There are plenty of body weight workouts online, in diagram, video, and even written form!

12. Play Music

Remember that guitar Aunt Lucy got for you three years ago that you plunked on for a day and a half and subsequently forgot? Well, today is its lucky day! Pull it out, tune it up, and teach yourself to play a song. It doesn't have to be complicated. It doesn't even need words. Just so long as it sounds good to you, play your heart out.

13. Call Mom and Dad

If you get lonely sitting around on your own doing nothing, why not give the folks a ring? Even if you have no excuse for it, the weather is always a good subject for conversation. If they live nearby, you can commiserate, and if they don't, well, they can mock you for living in such a cold, baren wasteland. Jokes on them, you've read half of War and Peace, watched the entirety of Greys Anatomy, and taught yourself Pink Floyd's The Wall from start to finish, and it's not even 1:30 yet.

14. Light a Fire

If you've got a fireplace, you've probably already taken care of this one, but by this point in the day it probably needs tending anyway. This is your chance to sit back and reflect on all you've accomplished today, you busy busy beaver. Good for you.

15. Take a Nap

You've earned this.