15 Signs You Wore That Blue Corduroy In High School

*Taps gavel three times* "FFA members, why are we here?"

92

The National Future Farmers Of America Organization (FFA) is active in every state across the US and even in the US territories. If you were in FFA in high school, whether you were simply a member or you served as a Chapter or District Officer, it is a fact that your experiences in FFA never leave you.

I was a Chapter officer at my high school for two years and attended State Convention three times. The people and experiences I encountered in FFA are some of my fondest memories.

1. You Miss State Convention

State Convention was essentially a week where you got to miss school and visit a city or university in your state. Even in the smallest states, State Convention still amasses a few thousand people. You're there to compete, but you're also there to make friends and memories that will last a lifetime.

2. You're Still Friends With Your Officer Team

Whether you were on the officer team or not, chances are you're probably still at least friends on Facebook with your old Chapter, District, or State officers. For me, my fellow Chapter officers are still some of my closest friends and we all still try to meet up once a year or so.

3. You Save Many Lives With Your Pantyhose Repair Tricks

You didn't go to State with fewer than three pairs of pantyhose. If you didn't need them, one of your fellow ladies would. And, if you needed to get through the day and had a run in your pantyhose, you just had to whip out hairspray or clear nail polish.

These tricks have saved me many times even outside of FFA and high school. It's an odd skill to learn from an agricultural based organization, but it's one pretty much every FFA lady knows.

4. You Still Long For State Officer Hair

So, maybe WAFFA (Washington FFA) members are weird, but we all longed for the coveted State Officer hair. State Officers always have immaculate hair and makeup, whether male or female, the State Officers were always on point. Having one of your fellow members tell you had State Officer hair was the biggest compliment you could receive.

5. You Still Have Your Personalized Jacket

It may be hanging in your closet or folded away in storage, but you still have your blue corduroy with your name sewn in gold on the right side. And, even if it doesn't fit anymore, you never plan on getting rid of it.

6. You're The Best At Road Trips

Being an FFA member includes a TON of road trips. To State. To Districts. For Field Trips. A month barely went by without an FFA excursion. Your road trip playlists are always the best and you always have snacks, cause you could be stuck in the middle of nowhere for hours. And, you always had to be prepared in case the van (or bus) broke down.

7. You Can Never Pass A Farmer's Market

There's something so nostalgic about a farmer's market and whenever I go to one I'm immediately transported back to my FFA days. There's nothing better than picking up fresh fruit on your way back from State.

8. You've Worn Your Official Dress (Sans Jacket) To An Interview

Your official dress is surprisingly useful outside of FFA. If you take off the jacket, you have a formal outfit that you could easily wear to an job interview and in my early days of job interviews, I definitely did this, opting to save money and get as much use out of my official dress as possible.

9. You Still Remember At Least Part of the Opening Ceremony

If you were an officer, it's very likely you still remember your part of the Opening Ceremony (or at least part of it). My Senior year I was Secretary, which has the shortest (and arguably best) part of the Opening Ceremony and even four years later I can still recite it!

10. You Still Have Nightmares About Tripping On Stage

If you ever got to go on stage at State for any reason, your worse fear is that you would be the one person the fall that year. Or, that you would somehow make a fool out of yourself as you walked across the stage to receive you award. Worse yet, was if you had to stand on stage for a long period of time, praying you wouldn't have to walk too much.

11. You Are Still Friends With People You Were In FFA With

Like I mentioned above, I'm still friends with pretty much every one I served on an Officer team with, but even outside of my Officer team some of my best friends in high school (and beyond) were in FFA. Even if you weren't an Officer, FFA was a great place to meet people.

12. Some Of Your Best High School Memories Were Because of FFA

I have so many wonderful memories from my time in FFA: getting free coffee on accident, bowling with my Officer team, laser tag, and jamming out on long van rides. Everyone has different stories to tell and when you get a few of us back together, we can spend hours talking about the good times we had in FFA.

13. You Almost Died At Least Once On Your Way To Or From State

It's honestly a rite of passage. Everyone I know from FFA (even people not from my Chapter or District) have at least one story where they almost died on their way too or from State Convention. For me, it was when the wipers on our van went out in a downpour on our way back.

14. Your Old Advisers Are Still Your Role Models

FFA advisers have to deal with a lot, while also being a high school teacher. My FFA advisers were people who helped me and encouraged me as I applied to college, applied to get my State Degree, and tried to figure out who I was. All things they certainly weren't obligated to do, but it helped me gain confidence in later in life.

15. You Never Really Left

While you no longer go to State Convention, you might still be active in the FFA Alumni, or you may be a lifetime member. But, regardless, even when we leave FFA, FFA never leaves us.