15 Simple Things You Can Do To Make Someone's Day Today

Make this summer about more than just you.
117

Summer is finally here and for many of us, that means a time full of rest and relaxation. We have fewer obligations and therefore much more time to focus on the things that matter the most to us. As we enter into warmer days, here are 15 easy and inexpensive things you can do for someone else.

1. Write a letter (yes, an actual letter) to someone you haven't spoken to in a while.

Whether it be a family member or an old friend, the art of writing letters is dying. Make someone's day, send some snail mail.

2. Bake cookies for a police or fire station.

We're incredibly fortunate to have so many policemen and firemen waiting in the wings if something goes wrong. Show your appreciation for them and deliver a sweet treat to a local station.

3. Make dinner for a neighbor.

Everyone has hard weeks but even in the weeks that aren't so hard, doing something kind for a neighbor or busy mom can make all of the difference in their sanity.

4. Compliment someone walking down the street (in a non-creepy way).

No explanation needed. There's nothing nicer than getting that little boost of confidence from someone you don't know.

5. Donate old clothes or toys.

You're not going to wear them or play with them anymore anyway. Why not make the day or the week of someone else that can't afford all that you can. Also, there may be no intention of ulterior motives, but a clean closet leaves room for more clothes (just sayin').

6. Call a family member just to say hi.

Family is super important and when you get older it can get tough to keep in touch with those that don't live close. One 10 minute phone call will make their day and probably earn you some family bonus points too.

7. Pay for the person behind you in line.

Who knows what kind of day the person behind you is having, a $10 act of kindness (maybe even less) could brighten an entire morning.

8. Knock out some extra house chores.

Leaving all of the housework for one person is unfair and brutal. Sometimes the only way to help a stressed-out parent is by making their time at home even less demanding.

9. Donate canned or boxed foods to the local food pantry.

We all have that one corner of the panty that has canned food not seen or touched for 2 years. Clean out your pantry and provide a meal for someone in need. It's a win-win scenario.

10. Clean up trash in your neighborhood.

If you, the person who lives there, don't care about how it looks why should anyone else? Take pride in your town and pick up some trash.

11. Put together care packages for the homeless.

What a rewarding way to give to those in need. Sometimes it can be hard to give out cash, and instead, a care package seems to do more good.

12. Sign up to volunteer in your town.

Once again, you live there, DON'T YOU? Take pride in your town. Who knows who you may meet along the way.

13. Take flowers to a friend.

Diamonds are the key to a girls heart, BUT if you can't afford to bring home a bouquet of diamonds, flowers just may be your next best bet.

14. Leave extra change in a vending machine for the next person.

What a nice $1 way to make someone's day.

15. Leave kind notes in random places.

Not all kind actions have to have monetary value. In fact, most of the best ones don't. Leave behind a sweet note, that may make even more of a difference than giving money.

We've all been in the mood to wake up and do something good for someone around us. Take the first step in having a great summer and be a friend to someone new. Odds are, you'll end up benefitting yourself more than you could ever benefit the other person.