15 Things To Do That Are More Interesting Than Studying/Writing Your Paper/Generally Being Responsible

Incidentally the bar for this is not actually that high.

23
Cosmopolitan

You know what I am not a fan of? Doing whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing. Even if it's something kind of fun, like writing an article, just as a random example, I always find myself coming up with creative ways to procrastinate, some of which are less fun than my actual task, but there's something about knowing you have to do something that makes it at least somewhat unbearable. So here are some alternatives to being responsible that may or may not be more pleasant than what you have to do.

1. Cleaning your room

Anytime my mom would tell me to clean my room, I would spend hours laying on my floor whining to myself and looking through old yearbooks or whatever else I could find under my bed. But if there's a paper deadline looming over my head, cleaning my room is downright enjoyable. It was probably about time I did something about that smell anyway.

2. Practicing tattoos on yourself

How else are you gonna know if you'll regret getting that butterfly on your wrist unless you try it out ahead of time with a Sharpie? (Hint: you probably almost definitely will.)

3. Coloring

Now they have adult coloring books, so you don't even have to suffer the embarrassment of using a Barbie one. Though I still suspect that the little kid ones are better. A lot of times they come with stickers.

4. Texting your best friend from home

You guys don't talk enough as it is, so as long as you're not doing anything shoot them a "hey" or an inside joke or maybe just a funny gif of a particularly fat walrus. And if you're both trying to procrastinate, maybe it's time for a Skype date to catch them up on your latest shenanigans.

5. Texting your parents

You know they're eager to hear from you, so why don't you take this opportunity to avoid doing your work by throwing them a bone. Not that you don't wanna talk to them all the time, of course. Cause you totally do. What college kid doesn't? I know I do. Love you, Mom.

6. Texting your grandma

And your cousin. And your old neighbor hasn't heard from you in a while. And that kid who you used to sit next to in fifth grade. You always thought he was cute. What better time to pursue that? In fact, you should probably just text everyone in your contacts. Your lab group? Sure. "Kyle from the cab?" Why not. These people all deserve your undivided attention. They're probably sitting by their phones just waiting for you to text them. Your grandma might actually be doing that. You really should call her.

7. Netflix

If this hasn't already occurred to you, you're a rookie procrastinator. You should probably just stop and go study. This list is for experts.

8. Hulu

You might have already exhausted all your Netflix options, but lucky for you, Hulu has new episodes of all your favorite shows. And a lot of Spanish soap operas. That's probably something you could get into, right?

9. YouTube

This one is not for those who actually do need to get something done in the next 12 hours. They should rename it BlackHole. I am convinced that this site does not follow the normal laws of time. Like there's some kind of conversion that makes 10 minutes go by in 30 seconds. I have no proof of this, but it sure sounds correct, so I think we should all bring it to the attention of a scientist/the government/the Internet conspiracy theorist community.

10. Exercising

I'm a little wary about this one, but it's a good stress reliever. Or so I've been told. Maybe don't like exercise. Just do a lap down the hallway. You could run to Starbucks and back. Or walk. Walking burns calories. And drinking coffee burns at least a couple as long as you don't count the calories from the coffee itself.

11. Perfecting a musical instrument

Come on, everyone has an instrument that they've always been dying to learn how to play. Guitar? Ukulele? Harmonica? Kazoos are pretty cheap. You should learn how to play the kazoo. You need to learn how to play the kazoo. Who knows what kind of dire consequences there could be if you don't?

12. Creeping on random people's social media profiles

Have you ever looked up other people with your name on Facebook? Now is probably a good time for that. It can be really fun. You can either criticize them ("Ew look at her eyebrows I am definitely the way cuter holder of this name") or get excited about all the things you have in common with them ("She likes mint chocolate chip ice cream? I like mint chocolate chip ice cream!"). Maybe they're even your evil twin or your clone or a version of you from an alternate timeline, you never know. These are things that need to be investigated right now.

13. Finding all the matches for all your unmatched socks

They're around there somewhere, they have to be. And now would be the perfect time to get to the bottom of this mystery. Even if it takes you all day/night/the rest of the semester.

14. Watching paint dry

I feel like if you got some really cool paint this wouldn't be entirely unentertaining.

15. Sleeping

This is completely a necessity. If you don't sleep, you could literally die of exhaustion. Do you want to die? Then go to sleep. When your professor asks you why you failed the exam, you can just him/her that it was a life-or-death situation. Which isn't really completely totally a lie. Mostly.