14 Lessons Ed Sheeran Has Taught Us About Love

Love as if you've never been hurt.

109
Mauricio Quevedo

From "The A Team" to "Castle on the Hill", Ed Sheeran has written countless songs that continue to make the hearts of teens and 20-somethings throb. But, why do we enjoy his music SO much? Simply put- love. No one knows relationships like the guru himself, so here are a few lyrical lessons of love Sheeran has provided:

1. "Drunk"

We all have that one relationship that ended, but every now and then we find ourselves thinking "what if". We know we'll never hold them like we used to, but we can still hope, right?

2. "U.N.I."

Accepting the end of a relationship can be difficult, but there will be someone better, someone who can love you better. You have to accept an end to have a new beginning.

3. "Wake Me Up"

There is beauty in the smallest of actions, like running a bubble bath and the flick of a hair. Love is unedited and natural, appreciative and fun.

4. "Small Bump"

Love extends beyond life; even if your eyes never open wide you are still loved because love isn't purely physical.

5. "This"

Love is the start of something new and something beautiful. It makes you lose yourself in a whirlwind of the unknown, of what is to come, and what could come.

6. "One"

The hardest part of being in love is waiting. Whether it be waiting for the one, the right time, or the chance we all have to wait. It can be long and it can be difficult and it may, honestly, never be just right.

7. "I'm A Mess"

We're all a mess, inside and out. Find someone whose beautiful mess makes you forget about your own even if just for a single night.

8. "Photograph"

Loving another makes us feel alive and photographs are a way to capture these emotions. Our memories may fade, but the photographs are reminders of the good, bad, and ugly.

9. "Thinking Out Loud"

Love is transparent; we expose our flaws, our secrets, our fears, and our dreams to the one person that loves us endlessly.

10. "Dive"

Honesty. Any healthy relationship needs a foundation of honesty from the get go. Why waste time with someone who can't or won't tell you the truth?

11. "Perfect"

Out of all the loves we encounter the most sentimental is the unplanned and unexpected love. You dance barefoot on the grass "just because" and find solace in the simplicity.

12. "Happier"

What we don't expect is for a relationship to end and your significant other to move on. We don't expect them to be happier without you. But, in the end, we have to put another's happiness before our own so that, we too, can be happier.

13. "Save Myself"

Loving another begins with loving yourself. If you can't help yourself, then how can you positively contribute to a relationship?

14. "Galway Girl"

We've all heard the infamous "opposites attract" but we tend to dismiss the possibility. Love is meant to be fun, carefree, and a chance for us to learn more about ourselves through the eyes of another.

So, as Ed Sheeran once said, "be nice to everyone, always smile, and appreciate things because it could all be gone tomorrow", live your life to the fullest and remember to love a little along the way.