13 Truths People Without A Sense Of Direction Understand

Getting lost is expected.

96

Some people are born with a naturally good sense of direction. Some people over time have learned how to navigate to different places. You are neither of these types of people. Whether it’s going to a restaurant or to the grocery store, each outing for you is an adventure because the likelihood of getting lost is incredibly high. At this point, your poor sense of direction is just a part of who you are, but that doesn’t make it any less inconvenient when you need to get anywhere.

1. You will almost always be late if you’ve never been to the place before.

You could leave more than a half hour early and at one point or another you’re going to turn down the wrong street, it’s just going to happen. If you’re late you don’t even try explaining yourself, at that point you just try to move on with your day.

2. Google Maps is your savior.

A physical map really stresses you out so iMaps is a real godsend. The fact that it will literally talk you through how to get somewhere step by step is the best thing ever for you. It also is largely where much of your data goes each month.

3. You’ve regularly gotten lost going places you’ve been before.

Yah. This one is really hard to explain, but not unlikely. If you haven’t gone somewhere in the last 10 days, how to get there is not as intuitive as you would like it to be. But most of the time if you think this might happen you’ll just suck up your pride and put the location into iMaps.

4. You always take people up when they offer to drive.

Literally, anyone’s sense of direction is better than yours. Even if you have the car, you’ll likely ask others to drive just so that you don’t get lost going to the mall or some other basic place you’ve been to before.

5. You'll never know which way north is.

Or south, or east or west. Even if you’ve been told before, which way is which, it just won’t sink in. You could take into consideration where the sun is in comparison to you and it won’t happen for you. If you get it right, it’s pure chance or your car tells you which way you’re going.

6. Going someplace on your own is never a good idea.

It’s not going to end well. Even if you make it to the location unscathed, the likelihood of you finding parking or even remembering where your car is parked is slim to none.

7. Verbal directions won’t be remembered.

Maybe if the directions are, “Go straight indefinitely and the house is on your left,” you’ll make it there alive, but otherwise you’re out of luck. Landmarks as descriptors in directions tend to help, but they don’t guarantee you’ll get there.

8. You might know how to get somewhere, but you definitely don’t know the street names.

You’re going to need a description of what’s on that road and what you’ve used it to get to before you’ll put name to place. Other than the street you live on and other streets that you drive on constantly, street names just won’t register with you.

9. People don’t even ask you for directions anymore.

Maybe they’ll ask for an address or what the place is by, but even (especially) your closest friends will not ask you how you would get somewhere because your directions are probably wrong, or your directions use the longest possible route to get to the place.

10. Going to the city is like wishing death upon you.

As John Mulaney once said, “The streets are numbered… It’s grid system mothaf***a,” but that does not mean you couldn’t manage to get lost. You’re the type of person that could get lost in New York; you are the reason "Home Alone 2" exists.

11. If a road is closed that you need to go down, instant panic ensues.

How are you supposed to get somewhere if the road is closed? Are you supposed to trust a detour, since when was that a good idea? For you, the answer is never. A detour is never a good idea.

12. But Google Maps leading you someplace wrong is why you have trust issues.

If a computer-based program can’t get somewhere, how are you supposed to get there? How is anyone supposed to get there? You’re already asking for help to get to someplace probably easy to get to but Google Maps lying to you is like kicking you when you’re down.

13. Once you know one way to get somewhere, no matter how long it takes, you’ll never take another route to get there, ever again.

The fact that you know how to get anywhere is surprising enough, but messing with that basically guarantees that you’d get lost. So instead you would under most circumstances rather take the long way rather than the way that would get you there quicker, because if you get lost all of a sudden it is no longer the quicker way.