13 Times Taylor Swift Was A Lyrical Genius

She's a songwriting queen and you can't deny it.

1658
Musicbed Blog

Taylor Swift is my favorite artist and one heck of a singer/songwriter. Each one of her albums reminds me of a specific time in my life and many of her songs have gotten me through rough times. Depending on the song, I can listen to her music when I need to feel happy, peaceful and at home, or downright badass. I have always been impressed by the way she can use her voice, her music, and her words to paint a picture and tell a story. Every song has that perfect lyrical moment where the words and music combine just right but, in the interest of brevity, here's a list of Taylor Swift's best lyrics (thirteen of them of course) in no particular order.

1. Better Than Revenge

"Sophistication isn't what you wear or who you know,
Or pushing people down to get you where you wanna go,
They wouldn't teach you that in prep school so it's up to me;

But no amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity."

This is classic savage Taylor. These lines are perfectly illustrative. She doesn't actually say what kind of person she is but you know by the end of this verse as she points out what the other girl isn't. She is sophisticated, dignified, and she will not put up with your crap.

2. Red

"Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street,
Faster than the wind, passionate as sin, ending so suddenly.
"

These lines are captivating. Succinctly, Taylor paints a vivid image of a relationship. In just two lines she tells a whole story and even without having seen or experienced anything of the type you know what she means. Dozens of emotions summed up in twenty-two words.

3. Ours

"So don't you worry your pretty little mind,
People throw rocks at things that shine,
And life makes love look hard,
The stakes are high,
The water's rough,
But this love is ours."

This whole song is an endearing example of the beauty, strength, and simplicity of love. Even if no one else in the world understands your relationship, you two do, and that's okay. And no matter what happens, you will get through it if you have each other. Also, the alliteration in the third line is so pleasing to the ears.

4. Mine

"You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter,
You are the best thing that's ever been mine."

Speaking of alliteration, have a look at this line. Again, Taylor writes about a couple overcoming obstacles together. Although she's famous for her breakup songs, Taylor's love stories are just as well written. This is a slow, gentle romance that shows even if you've been hurt, you can still find love.

5. I Almost Do

"I bet you think I either moved on or hate you,
'Cause each time you reach out there's no reply.
I bet it never ever occurred to you that I can't say 'Hello' to you
And risk another goodbye.
"

Sometimes relationships are painful and messy. Sometimes, even if you care about someone, it's best for both of you to walk away. And that hurts like hell. But you know getting together again will only hurt more. Taylor captures all of this in perfect poetry.

6. Dear John

"You are an expert at sorry, and keeping the lines blurry,
Never impressed by me acing your tests.
All the girls that you've run dry, have tired, lifeless eyes,
'Cause you burned them out.
But I took your matches before fire could catch me,
So don't look now, I'm shining like fireworks over your sad, empty town."

These lines are the climax of a long, painful story. It's about doing something you know you shouldn't. It's about being hurt. It's about having the strength to pick yourself up and walk away before the damage is permanent.

7. You Are In Love

"You two are dancing in a snow globe, round and round,
And he keeps a picture of you in his office downtown.
You understand now why they lost their minds and fought the wars,
And why I've spent my whole life trying to put it into words."

This lovely song perfectly depicts the simplicity of true love. It's something that you don't really understand until you live it. Love is the little moments, the details that anyone else would miss but they mean the world to you. This is what Taylor is always doing. She's putting into words those feelings that defy definition.

8. Treacherous

"Two headlights shine through the sleepless night,
And I will get you alone.
Your name has echoed through my mind
And I just think you should know --
That nothing safe is worth the drive.
"

This song reminds me of a C.S. Lewis quote about how love means being vulnerable. Yes, love is beautiful, but it always involves a risk and it can be like walking a tightrope.

9. State of Grace

"This is a state of grace; this is the worthwhile fight.
Love is a ruthless game unless you play it good and right;
These are the hands of fate. You're my Achilles heel,
This is the golden age of something good and right and real."

I just love the poetry of these lines. The invocation of Greek mythology is just perfect and again references the vulnerability of love. Your greatest love is also your greatest weakness.

10. Clean

"The drought was the very worst,
When the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst.
It was months and months of back and forth,
You're still all over me like a wine-stained dress I can't wear anymore."

This time Taylor tells the story of a relationship turned toxic. A relationship that requires a recovery period. The imagery here is perfection. The flowers grown in love shrivel and die when the love is no more. The wine-stained dress of a broken relationship- everyone can see your mistakes and all you want to do is start over again.

11. Clean (again)

"The water filled my lungs, I screamed so loud but no one heard a thing."

"Rain came pouring down when I was drowning,
That's when I could finally breathe,
And by morning, gone was any trace of you,
I think I am finally clean.
"

While it certainly applies to relationships these lines of Clean perfectly describe what it's like to have anxiety. The feeling of helplessness. The relief that comes when you finally break down and cry and get help. The rain of tears and troubles washing you clean so you can start anew.

12. All Too Well

"Maybe we got lost in translation, maybe I asked for too much,
And maybe this thing was a masterpiece 'til you tore it all up.
Running scared, I was there, I remember it all too well.
"

Taylor stands in the ruins of a once beautiful relationship and wonders where it all went wrong. Her words perfectly sum up every emotion.

13. All Too Well (again)

"You call me up again just to break me like a promise.
So casually cruel in the name of being honest.
I'm a crumpled up piece of paper lying here

Cause I remember it all too well."

Taylor perfectly captures the feelings of distrust and betrayal. When everything has broken down around you and everything good you thought you knew has gone away. When all you can do is lie on the floor clutching memories and broken dreams. Taylor conveys it all in just four lines.