13 Things Said In Miss Americana That Blew Me Away

I was blown away and left speechless after Taylor Swift's documentary, and here's why.

133

I have been a fan of Taylor Swift since her first album, and in a way, her music has been the soundtrack of my life. After watching her documentary, Miss Americana, I was left with such a full feeling of empathy. Here are 13 revelations Taylor said that knocked my socks off.

1. "I was fulfilled by approval, that was it. I became the person everyone wanted me to be."

Taylor starts the documentary by talking about the moral code she created for herself at a young age, that fueled her, which was always trying to be good--to be a good girl. It was so important to her and, ultimately, what left her feeling lost when people turned against her.

2. "I give myself like five seconds a day to be like, 'Yes, this is happening!' And then the rest of the day, I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna make it last."

This right here is why Taylor is so successful and continues to move forward as an artist. She said this during a clip from an older video when she was relatively young. Even then, she realized that if she wanted it all to last that she has to always work at it.

3. "I can't change what's gonna happen to me, but I can control what I write."

Some things are out of her control, but she can let things inspire her songs.

4. "But when you're living for the approval of strangers, and that is where you derive all of your joy and fulfillment, one bad thing can cause everything to crumble."

Some of us put so much stock into others' approval that we forget what really matters regarding our happiness.

5. "Do you really care if the internet doesn't like you today if your mom is sick from her chemo?"

She talks about how important it is to prioritize things that matter in your life, and for her, friends and family are what matters most.

6. "Nope we don't do that anymore, because it's better to think you look fat than to look sick. We're not doing that anymore. We're just... changing the channel in our brain."

One thing I think that people don't realize about having any type of personal struggle, whether it is an eating disorder, anxiety, or depression, that being aware of your battle is HUGE! You still have struggled with that "thing," and it is a part of your story. The way that she internally talks to herself is a powerful form of acknowledging your struggles and reminding yourself that it doesn't have power over you anymore.

7. "We're people who got into this line of work because we wanted people to like us, 'cause we were intrinsically insecure because we liked the sound of people clapping 'cause it made us forget how much we feel like we're not good enough."

Her awareness and growth is such a lesson to learn from.

8. "When people fall out of love with you, there's nothing you can do to make them change their minds."

Sometimes, as much as we wish this wasn't true, it is. Some people don't want to love you.

9. "Even though it was really horrible, I was happy. But I wasn't happy in the way that I was trained to be happy. It was happiness without anyone else's input."

Part of me teared up when she said this. So many of us are on the journey of learning to be happy without others' input, and it's so freeing.

10. "I want to love glitter and also stand up for the double standards that exist in our society."

Can I get an amen?

11. "I want to wear pink and tell you how I feel about politics. And I think that those things don't have to cancel each other out."

Wearing pink has nothing to do with one's ability to have opinions on politics, and I couldn't be happier she said this.

12. "I'm trying to be as educated as possible on how to respect people, on how to deprogram the misogyny in my own brain."

We can't help the things they brainwash us with, but becoming educated on how to respect others is one of the most powerful things we can do as a person on this earth.

13. "I wanna still have a sharp pen, and thin skin, and an open heart."

Thank you, Taylor, for your sharp pen, thin skin and open heart, because without it, we wouldn't be so touched by your authentic music.

We can learn so much through Taylor's vulnerability. The amount of vulnerability it took to put this all out there for the world to see is genuinely astounding. She's such a bad bitch in the best of ways. Taylor Swift, in my opinion, is and always will be one of the most talented and influential artists in today's time.