13 Things I Learned About Myself In My First Semester Of College

It has definitely not been easy, but I have come a long way.

2651
Saige Rozanc- Petski

Spring break marks the halfway point of the spring semester, and for me, it’s really flown by. Recently I’ve been taking some time to look back on fall semester and do some soul-searching. As my first college semester, fall 2017 was hard but revealed some things I never knew about myself.

So here are all the things I learned about myself during my first semester in college.

1. I cannot get out of bed before 7 a.m.

I thought 8 a.m. classes were a no-brainer, but dragging my butt down from my lofted bed at 6:30 a.m. was a no-go.

2. I don’t work well late at night

Unless I want to incur various forms of frustrated crying, I should not try to stay up late to finish homework.

3. My body is not meant to walk 5 miles around campus daily

Shin splints and newly discovered asthma — need I say more?

4. I cannot take “a short nap” in between classes

A 30-minute nap turns into 3 hours and I regret it for the next 3 days trying to catch up on what I missed.

5. I like being anonymous in a class of 400

Not ever being called on to answer questions is absolute classroom heaven.

6. I need to live near the beach

4 hours to the closest beach is about 3 hours too far for me.

7. Yoga is a stressed gal’s best friend

3 days a week I get to listen to instrumental music and my mellow virtual yoga instructor instead of my to-do list in my head.

8. I hate relying on the dining halls for food

I’m not a meatloaf and creamed spinach girl no matter how hard I might try.

9. I need a routine in my life

I’m sorry, you want to “play it by ear” when and where the next club meeting is? How do I put that in a planner?

10. I need someone to tell me to go to the gym or I won’t go

If my roommate didn’t hold me accountable for our 3 times weekly trips to the gym, I would probably never put down the ice cream.

11. I stress eat A LOT

Hence why I need to be actually going to the gym when I say I will.

12. I hate washing the dishes but don’t mind laundry

I will be eating off of paper plates with plastic cutlery for the rest of my life, but my laundry will be done weekly.

13. I am doing way better than I thought

With all the craziness of the first semester behind me, I realized that I never gave myself the credit I deserve. I’m gonna keep kicking ass, one semester at a time.